Is CampbellsKitchen.com right?

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
This was part of a little thing on how to cook eggs that says it is presented by CampbellsKitchen.com:

Hard Boiled Eggs

Brown shells are thicker than white shells, and thus more crack-resistant, making them ideal for hard boiling. There's no other differences between white and brown eggs -- they just come from different breeds of hen.

I have never heard of this before and I haven't noticed that to be true with my own chickens (the part about shell thickness). Where do you suppose this information comes from and is there any truth to it?

Last edited:
I'm wondering if they compared a store egg, white one, to a fresh egg, brown one. The fresh eggs shell would be stronger because it's fresher.... Other than that, I don't know, good question though

My Leghorn's shells were definately thinner and easier to crack than my Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds. But that was only true of the Leghorns, the Silkies, Polish and the other banties were just as hard as the brown eggs.

Of all mine, including the leghorn we used to have, my RIR has the thinnest shells by far. The ones we got from the lehorn were some of the thickest. ?

Werll, Heather I am assuming they are talking about store bought brown eggs vs white ones. That I have found to be true. But here at home they are ALL hard as a rock, no matter the color.

I doubt it....BUT
I do have brown "organic" eggs and regular white eggs in the fridge frome time to time and sometimes the white ones are paper thin while the brown ones I have the whack on the counter to crack.

That just tells me that the chickens from the white egg farm are undernourished and should be in my backyard getting the good stuff!

Back
Top Bottom