Is heat exhaustion a real thing for chickens?

My chickens prefer wet mash to dry feed any day. I make them a pan every afternoon on hot days just to get more fluids into them. I am glad that you have stopped losing chickens, and glad that you have taken advice so well. Some people would not have continued posting after receiving some criticism. I hope you continue to post on BYC since you can offer others advice in the future from what you have learned. Good luck.
Thanks! I am glad I have stopped too, going to actually see how they are doing this afternoon after this morning's feeding and changing the water with corid to a fresh batch. I hope I can help others if they get into a problem like this as I believe the birds likely did get coccidiosis besides the dehydration side.. Its kind of gross to think about but I think some may have started eating their own poo to try and stay hydrated:/ cause the white bird that is still alive I watched try to do this til I coaxed her to the mash and after realizing it tasted better she wouldn't stop eating it. Gonna try to get pictures again too.

Heres the 4 that have survived so far.

Attachments

• 20180721_152638.jpg
    20180721_152638.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180721_152234.jpg
    20180721_152234.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180721_152229.jpg
    20180721_152229.jpg
    556.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180721_152225.jpg
    20180721_152225.jpg
    576.6 KB · Views: 14
A mixed bin of brown layers is what the sign said at the farm store we got her from. So I cant really say what all was in there for sure but that was my best guess. I had really wanted one of the stores to have California white chickens as the one we have is probably my favorite of all our older flock, but im pretty sure this one is not that.

I doubt it. California whites are a cross between California greys and White Leghorns. They lay white eggs.
White Rocks, just like all Plymouth Rocks lay brown eggs.
Right but the California white we have looks just like her minus this one not having her full comb and wattle in. But I am sure you are correct.

I just figured since they all came out of the brown layer bin that was the deal.
I'm not saying I have that great of an eye for breeds. I know more about breed characteristics like egg color and productivity, behavior, etc. But I don't go to that many shows so I can be wrong sometimes on leg/skin color and comb type. To the untrained eye, any of the many white varieties look alike.
There may be 20 or more breeds with a white variety that could be mistaken for each other if one didn't know all those other characteristics.

I just figured since they all came out of the brown layer bin that was the deal.
I'm not saying I have that great of an eye for breeds. I know more about breed characteristics like egg color and productivity, behavior, etc. But I don't go to that many shows so I can be wrong sometimes on leg/skin color and comb type. To the untrained eye, any of the many white varieties look alike.
There may be 20 or more breeds with a white variety that could be mistaken for each other if one didn't know all those other characteristics.
Agreed for sure!, I guess wait and see what her eggs are like when we get that far. Another good day for these ladies in the books! Thanks again all for the help and advice.(wrote this last night and never posted it but yesterday and today were good days.

Back
Top Bottom