Is heat exhaustion a real thing for chickens?

On a different note, it seems they continue to improve, are eating and drinking like regular normal birds and am really starting to see combs and waddles coming in much more pronounced than they were. Ill have to try and get some updated pictures they like to hide every time I try. I sure hope this post does help someone else out or i even can just from experience Ive gained after this.

I just read through this entire thread. I am so sorry for your losses, but am pleased to see you taking advice and learning for the sake of your flock. I only have one more thing to add. Is there a shadier spot where you can move that little coop? Is the runnfor the older chickens shaded? Maybe you could put it in there. My grow out coop is inside the main run. Just a thought. I hope your remaining birds continue to do well.

I just read through this entire thread. I am so sorry for your losses, but am pleased to see you taking advice and learning for the sake of your flock. I only have one more thing to add. Is there a shadier spot where you can move that little coop? Is the runnfor the older chickens shaded? Maybe you could put it in there. My grow out coop is inside the main run. Just a thought. I hope your remaining birds continue to do well.
Thank you! I am thankful at least some have gotten much better thought for a while I was going to loose all of them. I have moved the coop to a spot that has more shade offered throughout the day. the bigger coop was built with too small of a door for this to be wheeled inside. I have considered building a space inside for these birds too but I feel it would be too small compared to this small coop to confine them to until they are ready to be with the older hens.

Here is some updated pictures, still doing good! supposed to be warm the next few days so ive prepared the water for that and will be doing coop detail this afternoon more than likely as its due, thankful these 4 have survived though.

Attachments

• 20180802_202915.jpg
    20180802_202915.jpg
    548.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180802_202910.jpg
    20180802_202910.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180802_202747.jpg
    20180802_202747.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20180802_202742.jpg
    20180802_202742.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 9
So it appears this might be the year of coccidosis for me and my young birds. I have 3 other young hens that are showing signs similar to what the other hens did when they started falling over dead. I have started them on corid water and food mash, anything else I can do? These 3 weren’t even outside yet.. really hope I caught it early as 2 of them have quite runny poo.

We keep shallow tubs of water all over the yard and coop area for all the chickens and wild birds to wade in. It was 109 yesterday and we are filling up water several times a day. One of my Cochins had to be brought in because of the heat. She is fine and back with the rest of the flock.

Yes it real. In my opinion chickens handle the cold better than the heat.they don't sweat so they can overheat very quickly. If possible provide fresh cold/ice water for them. Make sure they have shade, and a dust area since this keeps them cool. Put a fan for them, feed them frozen treats such as fruit and veggies. Some people invest in a mister to keep them cool. Mine free range so I spray them with the hose when they are lurking around the porch looking dredful. If you have some that are suffering heat exhaustion maybe move them inside. Give them some electrolytes I use sav a chick. You could also keep this in their water daily so they have what I call chicken Gatorade. I believe a fresh batch will need to be made daily. I'm not sure about sugar water or honey but that could help. If they don't drink it themselves you may have to assist.

Van i ask what the temp is? What I'm reading it looks like you have a lot more then heat going on. Unfortunately any illness still only be compounded by heat, they can't recover from one while dealing with the other.

Another question is wheredoes you get these chickens and how long have you had them?

My temps have been over 100 I'm dumping and refilling water daily, adding ice to the water and soaking ground where they like to lay...

I live in West Central Florida where the heat in summer can be brutal. The metal water feeder provides them with cool water and I use the hose to wet the run and keep them cool. I tried wetting the run because I observed that they love the rain and will stay outside for a long time. I enjoy their antics and how loveable they are, each with her own personality. I sing and talk to them. They are saving my sanity during this pandemic.

Back
Top Bottom