Is Hot water bottle enough to make my chick warm

Yes, but it will depend on how high the light is mounted to give the proper temp. My turtles heat lamp is only 25 watts, but it needs to be 6" above the basking platform to get the temp to 95 degrees. Do you have a thermometer to measure the temp? Even a BBQ thermometer will work.

Yes, but it will depend on how high the light is mounted to give the proper temp. My turtles heat lamp is only 25 watts, but it needs to be 6" above the basking platform to get the temp to 95 degrees. Do you have a thermometer to measure the temp? Even a BBQ thermometer will work.
I dont have a thermometer

does your brooder have a wall? what I did was put on a lamp with a 100w light bulb and shone it against one wall of the brooder. when the chicks were feeling colder, they would hug closer to the wall. Since you only have one chick, I would give it a stuffed toy or something soft to snuggle up against... hot water bottle will work, if that's all you have, you might want to keep refilling it to keep it at a good warm temperature.

Not to be harsh, but if you aren't allowed to have the basic, necessary equipment to raise an animal then you really ought not to be trying to raise that animal
She found it. She's done all she can so far.

Hot water bottle really isn't enough. Try putting a blanket over the cage overnight (leaving air holes!) to try and keep a bit of warmth in. The hot water bottle will go cold overnight, so you really need a better solution. Is there an area in your house, eg. next to a radiator that is especially warm?

Plug in heating pad should work okay with a little ‘cave’ as mentioned above, in a pinch. Have read that water bottles can actually draw away heat once cooled down. Don’t blame your parents for not wanting a heat lamp - they can be potentially dangerous! What are the chances of getting a heat plate brooder? Those are safer but can be pricey like $40-$70 or so. Is it hot where you are? You might not need as much supplemental heat if so. Mine didn’t really need the heat plate after a week and a half or so except to hide under, but my house doesn’t have AC. A feather duster or three - turkey feather not Ostrich! - might be helpful for cozy factor. Mine love those. Disclaimer, some people have had problems with them, particularly ostrich feathers, but I haven’t at all.

Yea I
Plug in heating pad should work okay with a little ‘cave’ as mentioned above, in a pinch. Have read that water bottles can actually draw away heat once cooled down. Don’t blame your parents for not wanting a heat lamp - they can be potentially dangerous! What are the chances of getting a heat plate brooder? Those are safer but can be pricey like $40-$70 or so. Is it hot where you are? You might not need as much supplemental heat if so. Mine didn’t really need the heat plate after a week and a half or so except to hide under, but my house doesn’t have AC. A feather duster or three - turkey feather not Ostrich! - might be helpful for cozy factor. Mine love those. Disclaimer, some people have had problems with them, particularly ostrich feathers, but I haven’t at all.
[/QUOTE
Yea it's hot here since I live in a tropical country where I have a tempreature of 85 degrees day and night it rarely goes down below 79 unless it rains really hard.

Back
Top Bottom