A freshly hatched chick is pulling feathers out?

Or are you talking about your 6 week old birds?
Newly hatched. I've never seen anything like it, it keeps pecking at the others and stomping them. I can't tell if it's doing it on purpose or not, but it hatched about 36 hours before the others and was already a huge chick.

It came out of this bigger egg the breeder sent me so I thought it might've been a double yolkers, but after I candled it it was only one yolk.

Newly hatched. I've never seen anything like it, it keeps pecking at the others and stomping them. I can't tell if it's doing it on purpose or not, but it hatched about 36 hours before the others and was already a huge chick.

It came out of this bigger egg the breeder sent me so I thought it might've been a double yolkers, but after I candled it it was only one yolk.
Can you take a quick picture of your current setup with all of the chicks and your incubator heater together?

Hi everyone!
Thanks so much for all your help, I have found a house bulb that works perfectly and stays at exactly 36.5°c at the height I have it at now.

The baby is separated for now and it's still next to the others so it doesn't get lonely, and it has a mirror in with it. It seems a bit more calm now.
The others it injured are doing ok, just a few plucked bits and a foot with a missing toe 🙁

Now a days you can get a small heat plate for around $30, and you can get an always on heating pad for $18. Amazon.

The heating pad can be used for lots of things, so it might be handy to have one on hand for next time.

Last edited:
After decades being a wildlife rehabber and having to keep babies of all species warm, I have found two things that work the best: a human heating pad and a reptile heat pad (NOT heat rock). Each has both pros and cons and you have to decides which works best for the situation. Both are used the same way. Put the pad at one end of your container and cover it with either a single-layer dish towel for human pad or a light layer of shavings for reptile pad. The pad should always be covered lightly for both sanitation and baby safety.

Heat lamps throw A LOT of heat which heats the entire container making it harder for the baby to escape the heat and find a cooler area. The problem is compounded with the more babies you have in the container because their body heat combines with the heat radiating down from the lamps.

With heat pads at one end of the container, a specific area of the container is warmed from the ground up so there is a warm area and a cool area in container. Babies very quickly learn when they want to be warm they go to the pad. The warmth radiates up from the ground warming their body directly from below rather than hot air surrounding their body. When they need to be cooler, they simply get off the pad and walk to the cooler side. Much easier for the babies to regulate their temp.

Human pad: Pro - temp on this pad can be regulated high, medium, or low. I always start with low. You can move to a higher temp if need be. The cost of a human heating pad is usually lower than a reptile pad.
Con - they are not supposed to be left on continuously running indefinitely. I generally use for quick warmup of a youngster or when the pad only needs to be on at night when it is cooler.

Reptile pad: Pro - These are meant to stay on 24/7 and come in several sizes from very small to very large. They are easy to wipe off. They cost a little more than a human heating pad but the 24/7 heat output makes up for the cost. Also, if you find they are too hot sitting on the bottom of the container, simply hang the pad from the side of the container (uncovered of course) until the bottom edge of the pad rests on the bottom of the container and then the chicks can simply sidle up to the pad and stay warm that way.
Con - they have only one temp - hot when on. You can't change the temp and they really crank out the heat so you MUST have some type substrate cover like shavings because you don't want a baby standing or sitting directly on the hot surface. You should not cover them with something thick like a towel - they will get VERY hot then and could overheat.

Back
Top Bottom