Is it alright to leave the girls in?

kidfarmer

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 29, 2015
Massachusetts
I've been reading up and preparing for the cold days ahead! No snow yet but once it does snow we get a pretty good amount. Which leads me to the question can i leave the girls in for most of the day once the snow starts flying and it gets very cold?

Hi there! Fellow New Englander here. Chickens are actually very cold hardy little things. I live in VT, and mine will venture out on even the coldest days as long as I keep their run snowblowed or shoveled. Keeping them in the coop all day could cause issues, such as frostbite thanks to moisture buildup, respiratory infections due to ammonia buildup if you're not cleaning the coop often, and boredom, which can lead to feather picking and eating, among other things.

If you have a run the best option would just be to keep that free of snow and let them come out if they want to :)

A tarp over my run and some clear shower curtains hanging on the sides gives the girls a wind free area outside. The water is kept in the run to avoid extra unwanted moisture in the coop. Food is in run also. It has gotten down to 5 so far and the are doing well. They refuse to walk on any snow.

Back
Top Bottom