Is it Biting, grooming or kissing !!please help!!(ducks)

Isabelstu

In the Brooder
Dec 24, 2021
Hi, I’m very new to ducks so I was just wondering if what my duckling is doing is affectionate or aggressiveness.
Currently my new duck, Winston, is an only child because his friend had died.
whenever I leave his room he starts crying for me, but when I go back to check on him he opens his mouth like he is either really exited or really aggressive.
Secondly he loves to eat my hair, I try my best to stop him so he doesn’t accidentally swallow any but it’s kind of like trying to keep a moth from a light, he will extend his neck and jump over my hand just to get to me hair😂😂 could he be deficient in something or is he trying to groom me?
Lastly is biting, he does a mixture of little butterfly kisses but then tries to rip the flesh off my fingers and face. I’ve read a mixture of things with people saying it could be affectionate or he could be trying to assert dominance😤

Attachments

• F93BD598-1B56-42EA-9E3F-8A7A62557BFB.png
    F93BD598-1B56-42EA-9E3F-8A7A62557BFB.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 36
  • 349FEFB1-9284-49F6-BCA7-9E3CAB469D12.jpeg
    349FEFB1-9284-49F6-BCA7-9E3CAB469D12.jpeg
    583.9 KB · Views: 15
  • D7654DBD-B226-4797-8B30-30B2F92232C5.jpeg
    D7654DBD-B226-4797-8B30-30B2F92232C5.jpeg
    605.2 KB · Views: 15
Hi, I’m very new to ducks so I was just wondering if what my duckling is doing is affectionate or aggressiveness.
Currently my new duck, Winston, is an only child because his friend had died.
whenever I leave his room he starts crying for me, but when I go back to check on him he opens his mouth like he is either really exited or really aggressive.
Secondly he loves to eat my hair, I try my best to stop him so he doesn’t accidentally swallow any but it’s kind of like trying to keep a moth from a light, he will extend his neck and jump over my hand just to get to me hair😂😂 could he be deficient in something or is he trying to groom me?
Lastly is biting, he does a mixture of little butterfly kisses but then tries to rip the flesh off my fingers and face. I’ve read a mixture of things with people saying it could be affectionate or he could be trying to assert dominance😤
The hair chewing, the nibbling, sounds like normal duckling mouthyness. He certainly feels comfortable around you, and wants to play with your hair and clothes etc etc.
The mouth open in greeting, can go either way, it can be an aggression thing, it can be an anxious thing, it can also be a happy thing. I have a duck who uses that in different ways. Since he is an only duckling, and sounds comfortable around you, I'd guess its happy. Unless there's something about you spooking him, ie. A new hat.
The rough biting, could also go either way. When one of my girls was a baby, she was EXTREMELY mouthy. She'd be affectionate, then get super carried away and sometimes it hurt quite a bit. Regardless of what was causing the behaviour, I needed it to stop.
So whenever she chomped too hard, I'd very gently and loosely cup my hand around her bill, and say "gentle" very slowly and firmly. She'd back away (I wasn't holding her bill there, just barely touching it) and she very quickly learned what it meant. And within a few days, no more painful bites! It was a pretty simple fix, but worked very quickly. She's grown up into a gorgeous bird, not aggressive in the least.

Are you planning on getting another friend for him? Ducks really shouldn't be alone, they're better with company.

Back
Top Bottom