Is it common for mom's to team up together?

SovereignFarm

In the Brooder
May 2, 2016
This is the first time we have let a hen that went broody sit on her eggs and it has been very interesting for us to watch. Our silver bantam Ameraucana started first. One day I saw another hen trying to kick her off the nest and I went and moved her to her own empty nest. I continued to work and next thing I knew the other hen was over there again and the Ameraucana hopped off. She got herself something to eat and drink and the other hen added an additional egg to the nest. To my shock she waited for the broody hen to come back before getting off the nest. She wasn't puffy and broody but she was obviously trying to help. I've watched this multiple times over the last week and it continued daily. Now the helper hen has went broody too. They have a lot of eggs under them and fill the nest together. Is it common for mothers to team up like this? Will the chicks all be hatching at different times? We have multiple roosters in this flock, are they going to be cool with the chicks or should I steal them and raise them myself. I really want to continue to watch them do everything the natural way but I don't want to lose all the chicks. Any advice is appreciated

Back
Top Bottom