Is it irresponsible to breed rabbits?

Chicks 'n ducks

Songster
6 Years
Jan 23, 2018
Northern Colorado
Hello all,
I am in search of some advice. I would LOVE to start breeding holland lop bunnies. But I am torn if it would be a bad thing to do. Let me start out by saying that I would start VERY small (one to two does and a buck) and invest in quality stock. A friend of mine will be breeding her chocolate hollands this fall and I would get my stock from her. they are show quality. Best care possible would be given, and I would keep a waiting list of homes for the new bunnies. I would also have a "no questions asked" return policy. BUT, I hear that breeding rabbits is irresponsible when there are so many bunnies in the shelters. What is your opinion?
Thank you!

Well, I would NEVER have a no questions asked return policy as per my fear of parasites and disease.

Yes, somethings are irresponsible... like all the peeps who hatch chicks and expect every cockerel to find a home but not get eaten.

If your friend already has the same stock and local, why compete for her business? Does she have a back log of people waiting for her rabbits?

I see them all the time on Craigslist. People here are big about eating rabbit... too me that would be a GOOD reason for breeding.

As much as I love dogs and pure breeds are nice... I will NEVER breed them. Like you say, it's pretty irresponsible with so many dying or being euthanized in shelters EVERY single day with yet more starving on the streets. And some people will turn their bunnies loose to fend for their own and do whatever nature has in store.

If it's a means to make $... probably not a great choice. If it's a labor of LOVE... Why breed and not just enjoy what you get for yourself. Will you be able to cull immediately any with defects? Chicken breeding has taught me a lot about how hard core some decisions we have to make are. I won't support ill birds... I want my stock strong. Survival of the fittest to a degree... knowing that I have provided ALL they need and some still just don't get the best genetic makeup. Yes, sometimes I cull "viable" chicks for bent toes and such. It's always a hard choice.

Anyways... you are looking at many factors, and for that reason whatever YOU decide is right for YOU... it will not have been a truly irresponsible choice. If you find it isn't working out... don't breed them anymore and learn from your experience.

I know chickens are ending up at shelters as well. I knew I could not choose to hatch without a plan in place for all the extra boys, since layers are always easy to get rid of... Those aren't my chickens in the shelter... mine are feeding my family and other people... we EVEN eat our extra Silkies or other bantams! :drool

Yes, I like to rescue pets... when I can. I will likely ALWAYS adopt dogs... But I will NEVER adopt a chicken, too much risk to the rest of my flock. I have considered adopting bunnies or others but they aren't really available at the shelters I frequent.

To me the pet market for rabbits isn't large enough to warrant any extra effort from breeding... BUT this is YOUR life and your market may be different. :)

Best wishes for whatever you decide! :fl

Very good point about returned bunnies. Chocolate hollands are very rare around here. my friend had to get her stock from a whole different state. So there is a market here. This venture would not be for making money, it would be because I love the breed and want to improve it. I see that culling is part of breeding no matter what. Something I would have to get used to.
Thank you for your informed and detailed response!

I wouldn't call breeding rabbits irresponsible, if you have a plan and purpose. The people who complain about too many rabbits in shelters often don't understand that those rabbits are in shelters because they're not the animals in demand. It isn't that there are too many rabbits; there are too many rabbits of the wrong types. A show breeder isn't going to (and shouldn't) adopt a mixed-breed rabbit from a shelter instead of breeding his own animals. If you told that person to just adopt, you would be ignoring his goals: improving his breed and obtaining animals that he can show and sell to other like-minded breeders. If you start out with healthy animals, care for them correctly, don't overbreed them, and accept that you may need to cull lesser-quality or surplus animals, there is nothing wrong with breeding rabbits, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom