Is it legal to take a baby duck from a public pond?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except the species that I would consider aren't indigenous to our area, so I would be helping the native species, so they don't have to compete for resources. And where do you think they would get the duckling I buy at a hatchery from?

Ducks migrate, hatcheries wouldn't get babies from the wild, most birds are protected by the migratory bird act and it's not hunting season. It's illegal. If you do it, I hope you get caught. Buy a duckling from a breeder or hatchery.

I would find out who governs over said pond and ask them they may say yes or they might say no but at lest you asked and you know. But I would think it would be illegal to just go and grab a couple. Also to people who are bashing the OP maybe you need to reread their original post they are not talking about wild breed ducks but domestic duck breeds that sound like they have been dumped or maybe even escaped and as far as I know the migratory bird act in the USA only covers wild breed ducks not domestic breeds that have been dumped or escaped. While they maybe of dosmestic breed they are now "wild" so could carry who knows what. and a breeder or hatchery would be a safer choice and legal.

Another consideration, besides potential diseases, is that a duckling bonded to a mother duck will be very unhappy and loud taken away from the mother. A duckling hatched out of an egg bonds to the human and won't peep constantly if it's basic needs are met. I had to take some chicks raised by a broody inside and they wouldn't quit peeping. I finally brought the hen inside and everyone was happy. Perhaps, if the ducks are a real problem, the parks department will let you trap a whole family and you can relocate them to your farm.

Ducks migrate, hatcheries wouldn't get babies from the wild, most birds are protected by the migratory bird act and it's not hunting season. It's illegal. If you do it, I hope you get caught. Buy a duckling from a breeder or hatchery.

Please read the rest of the thread past that point because I don't want to have to keep repeating myself

I would find out who governs over said pond and ask them they may say yes or they might say no but at lest you asked and you know. But I would think it would be illegal to just go and grab a couple. Also to people who are bashing the OP maybe you need to reread their original post they are not talking about wild breed ducks but domestic duck breeds that sound like they have been dumped or maybe even escaped and as far as I know the migratory bird act in the USA only covers wild breed ducks not domestic breeds that have been dumped or escaped. While they maybe of dosmestic breed they are now "wild" so could carry who knows what. and a breeder or hatchery would be a safer choice and legal.

Yes thank you. I know it's not legal to mess with the wildlife, but these are ducks that people have abandoned. Which is why I had to ask about it. It seems like a weird gray zone, it seems legal but people dont think its ethical. It's similar to having a dairy farm, the calf is taken from its mother.

I would defo check if it's a ok if this is the route you want to go down might I suggest you find what if any disease effect both local wild birds and domestic and can pass from one another plus the warning signs of a infected bird, also if your going to do this and your given the ok I would pick the healthiest look female and her clutch and take momma with them if you can.

That's exactly the problem, they are people's unwanted ducks that have been abandoned at the local ponds and lakes. I will be asking about whether I would be able to take a few though.
I don't see a problem with that. You are asking for permission, they are domestic, and you plan to adopt more than one.

I would be concerned about the mother though, and how she would feel with someone taking some of her ducklings, but on the other hand ducklings do get taken by predators.

If they are domestic ducks that where dumped I would definitely ask. It's not just disease you have to worry about but more like, will the duck become sad or depressed and not eat when separated from there mother? Or what if they aren't used to humans and attack you? And they will be quite hard to catch. Ducks are really fast in water and when on land they will run back in the water.

I don't like your nasty attitude. I don't remember saying I was only willing to get a single duckling, and I never said I wasn't open to the idea of buying from a hatchery. Why would I buy from a hatchery when I could help rescue abandoned ducklings. You know that cities will deal with over population of duck ponds by killing them right? So it's not as if I'm being a monster by trying to help out the situation even a little bit by giving a few ducklings a chance to actually live a nice life.
Well, I apologise you don't like "my nasty attitude" you asked a question for anyone to answer and I felt strongly about voicing my opinion. I certainly wasn't trying to impress you. However, on another note after reading the whole thread it looks like most people agree with not stealing ducklings from their family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom