Is it legal to take a baby duck from a public pond?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I apologise you don't like "my nasty attitude" you asked a question for anyone to answer and I felt strongly about voicing my opinion. I certainly wasn't trying to impress you. However, on another note after reading the whole thread it looks like most people agree with not stealing ducklings from their family.

I also think you misunderstood what I was asking. I was talking about non native ducks that aren't from here. I already called up my local parks and rec department and she wasn't sure so I have to call the game warden.

I also think you misunderstood what I was asking. I was talking about non native ducks that aren't from here. I already called up my local parks and rec department and she wasn't sure so I have to call the game warden.
(Not responding to the quote, wanted to make sure you get a notification)
I just wanted to say that I personally believe it would be a bad idea, although I think it'd probably be legal(or at least you could get away with it). It would put unnecessary stress on the ducks, they could carry disease into your yard and/or flock and the detachment issues Mylied mentioned. I honestly think it would be more trouble than it's worth. It also wouldn't do much for conservation as you can only take so many ducklings, and overpopulation usually takes care of itself with predation. If you'd like ducks I'd greatly recommend ordering from a hatchery, buying from a feed store(It's Chick Season!) or better yet a local breeder. Although from your posts it sounds you're pretty dead set on this so if you do, please make sure you know how to care for them and have the basics ready, which is applicable if you take or buy them.
Another consideration, besides potential diseases, is that a duckling bonded to a mother duck will be very unhappy and loud taken away from the mother. A duckling hatched out of an egg bonds to the human and won't peep constantly if it's basic needs are met. I had to take some chicks raised by a broody inside and they wouldn't quit peeping. I finally brought the hen inside and everyone was happy. Perhaps, if the ducks are a real problem, the parks department will let you trap a whole family and you can relocate them to your farm.
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:I didn't even think of this. Thank you!

(Not responding to the quote, wanted to make sure you get a notification)
I just wanted to say that I personally believe it would be a bad idea, although I think it'd probably be legal(or at least you could get away with it). It would put unnecessary stress on the ducks, they could carry disease into your yard and/or flock and the detachment issues Mylied mentioned. I honestly think it would be more trouble than it's worth. It also wouldn't do much for conservation as you can only take so many ducklings, and overpopulation usually takes care of itself with predation. If you'd like ducks I'd greatly recommend ordering from a hatchery, buying from a feed store(It's Chick Season!) or better yet a local breeder. Although from your posts it sounds you're pretty dead set on this so if you do, please make sure you know how to care for them and have the basics ready, which is applicable if you take or buy them.

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:I didn't even think of this. Thank you!

Disease is definitely a problem that I'm worried about, but the majority of the ducks at the pond seem pretty healthy considering the circumstances.

So I talked to my game warden and he said they don't regulate any domestic breeds. So he didn't want to tell me yes, but he did say it was legal.

I think the actual "catching" of them will be more difficult than you think, unless you have a lot of helpers. Then you risk traumatizing and possibly injuring them.
Definitely come up with a solid plan before attempting anything, please.

Disease is definitely a problem that I'm worried about, but the majority of the ducks at the pond seem pretty healthy considering the circumstances.

So I talked to my game warden and he said they don't regulate any domestic breeds. So he didn't want to tell me yes, but he did say it was legal.
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but are you familiar with the Migratory Bird Treaty Act? Your state may not regulate, but Federal law certainly does. If it isn’t duck season in your state, you cannot take a duck. In addition, most states don’t allow game birds to be taken in public parks and have specific hunting zones. Technically, people who shoot pigeons in their yard out of pigeon and dove season are in violation of the MBTA.

If they are domesticated ducks like pekins odds are they wont even hatch their own eggs

I am fairly certain in my state (AZ), the city is responsible for the regulation of city park animals, so I suppose you’d have to ask the city officials (which, it sounds like you are already planning to do so). Here is the list of ducks protected under the MBTA (outside of this list, I imagine it doesn’t matter too much, other than city regulations?):

American Black, Anas rubripes
Eastern Spot-billed, Anas zonorhyncha
Falcated, Anas falcata
Harlequin, Histrionicus histrionicus
Hawaiian, Anas wyvilliana
Laysan, Anas laysanensis
Long-tailed, Clangula hyemalis
Masked, Nomonyx dominicus
Mottled, Anas fulvigula
Muscovy, Cairina moschata
Pacific Black, Anas superciliosa
Ring-necked, Aythya collaris
Ruddy, Oxyura jamaicensis
Tufted, Aythya fuligula
Wood, Aix sponsa

Yes, thievery is illegal.

This birds are not abandoned. They belong to the city. Will have normally chips or bands and are being raised and feeded with money taxed to all people.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but are you familiar with the Migratory Bird Treaty Act? Your state may not regulate, but Federal law certainly does. If it isn’t duck season in your state, you cannot take a duck. In addition, most states don’t allow game birds to be taken in public parks and have specific hunting zones. Technically, people who shoot pigeons in their yard out of pigeon and dove season are in violation of the MBTA.

The domestic birds aren't game birds(and they technically wouldn't count because they don't migrate), and when I did my research pigeons are able to be killed whenever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom