Is it normal for chicks to be super loud during the night?

They seem to make more noise as they get older, tho this isn't bothersome to our family. My hubs sleeps like the dead, and I am a night owl.
I am not sure how their sleep patterns will run as they mature. I am guessing it will be like other kinds of babies, who sleep then wake then sleep then wake often, whereas when they grow up, they sleep for longer stretches and may even sleep thru the night. (???)
Is their noise going to be a problem in your neighborhood when they go out to the coop?
Perhaps it will just take some getting used to. You said they were only 4 days old, is this their first night at your house?
When I first brought mine home, I jumped at every sound, but like all parents, have been able to learn to differentiate between loud happy peeps and distress of some sort. I even find I can sort of tune them out, unless they make a sound I am not familiar with.
I do hope your family gets some sleep tonight.
Try not to worry.

Bright Blessings

Rachel'sFlock :

They seem to make more noise as they get older, tho this isn't bothersome to our family. My hubs sleeps like the dead, and I am a night owl.
I am not sure how their sleep patterns will run as they mature. I am guessing it will be like other kinds of babies, who sleep then wake then sleep then wake often, whereas when they grow up, they sleep for longer stretches and may even sleep thru the night. (???)
Is their noise going to be a problem in your neighborhood when they go out to the coop?
Perhaps it will just take some getting used to.

Bright Blessings

uh hahaha now im getting a bit worried. i thought full grown hens were quiet in the night time....like they sleep through the night...is that not how it works?? eeek!!
hide.gif

Oh gardenpig, I don't know for sure if they sleep thru the night or not. My girls are 5 weeks old, and most decidedly do not sleep thru the night.
Surely someone will wake up and respond to your query soon. All the folks who know the answer to that must be sleeping, thru the night, right now.
Try not to fret.
have these peeps been with you since hatching?

haha we are the only night owl up! party for the night owls!

i actually just got them today and am waiting for one more silkie sometime before next week.

thanks rachel'sflock for staying up and answering my questions as i fret.
big_smile.png

oh and they have been very quiet now for about almost an hour now...i hope it keeps up. haha for our own sanity...
fl.gif

No, they don't. I swear by dull emitter bulbs, which only give out heat, no light at all. I had noise the first night as one chick was on it's won, but after that when it went dark, they were quiet.

My chicks are 13 days old and they are constantly peeping but it doesn't bother me. I have learned the difference in a "I am happy" peep and a "Something is wrong, help me" peep. The peeping is a natural instinct, it is a way of letting mother hen know where her babies are and if they are safe.

Since this is their first night in your house, they're probably a bit confused. There was one chick in my last group that peeped at the top of her lungs all night long for the first few days. Honestly, when you thought it couldn't get louder, it did. After two days she stopped. When all is well, they are pretty quiet. You'll learn their different sounds. The one I listen for at night and the one I love the best is the soft trill. They usually do that when they are settling for a nap. It's a pretty, contented sound.

When hens go in to roost at night and all is dark, they go practically comatose. When lights are out, they don't eat, drink or stir. That's how commercial meat growers get the chickens to grow so fast. They leave the lights on 24/7 so they eat constantly. Pretty sad really.

Quote:
Same here, I brood my chicks in a converted round stock tank. I can tell the contented peeps and if they run short of food/water or the temperature is off, the discontented chirping. Then you have the free-for-all excited chirping when I drop the bag of crickets in for them to chase down, (or the worm tug-o-war)

Our first night, I thought one of the chips had colic. She chirped and chirped and chirped every time I left the porch. I think the lighting might be key too. We're off to get a red bulb before tonight. Our girls are on the built in porch so I don't hear them as much at night but I do all evening when I'm in the family room. I was surprised by their volume as well. I can attest that my BFF who has 5 layers does not have noise issues with her grown up girls. So, don't worry... it's just part of the cute baby package. ;-)

-chris

Back
Top Bottom