Is it ok my chickens sleep in the trees with no shelter from the rain

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by freefly, Feb 25, 2009.

1. freefly

freefly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Guam
    I live in Guam (US territory) in the tropics.
    We are 3 hours east of the Phillipines
    The temp. are between 75 - 90 day, night and all year round. So it is never cold here but it can rain...
    My chickens sleep in the trees and are free range.
    We have heavy rain a few months of the year and I hate that my girls are getting wet.
    I tried to put a roof over there heads once but they moved ... it was like they didn't like something over there head.. I just think they wern't used to it.
    There is a small amount of protection from the trees leaves though

When it is bucketing down at night it drives me crazy knowing they are getting wet.

We have wild chickens around here and of course they sleep in the trees ..
    Chickens naturally came from this part of the world and have always slept in trees.

Am I worring about nothing??

Worried chicken mom

[​IMG]

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I wouldn't worry to much. I have had some of my stubborn birds sleep in the trees when it is 5 to 10 degrees and snowing. and also in the rain

3. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    They're beautiful, it looks like tree-sleeping suits them. I wouldn't worry about the rain too much.

4. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

In your climate the rain is no problem. My only worry would be what predators could get them at night. Are there any in Guam?

5. BoJo

BoJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    Dawsonville, Ga
    I live in North Georgia, and all of my chickens live in the tree....they come to the porch to lay eggs in the boxes.....and they are fine, in sleet, snow, or sun!!!

Let them be free!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by