Is it okay if I start collecting eggs for hatching 13 days before I start?

You can do it however you want, but since you asked, I’m just letting you know. Thirteen days after lay is likely not going to work.
I routinely collect eggs for up to 21 days before incubating them. While the claim is that hatchability decreases with the length of time the eggs are stored, eggs don't suddenly become non-viable after 10 days. Their viability may decrease slightly with time but more of it has to do with how they are stored.

How often should I turn them
Three times daily is recommended.

I routinely collect eggs for up to 21 days before incubating them. While the claim is that hatchability decreases with the length of time the eggs are stored, eggs don't suddenly become non-viable after 10 days. Their viability may decrease slightly with time but more of it has to do with how they are stored.

Three times daily is recommended.
So glad to hear this as I only have one hen that I want offspring from.

So glad to hear this as I only have one hen that I want offspring from.
There is a section in Hatching Eggs 101 by @Sally Sunshine that deals with storing hatching eggs. One particular method is for storing eggs longer than the recommended 7 to 10 days. It involves storing the eggs pointy end up without any turning.

If I would do that what should I do with the humidity on the 18th day
You can raise the humidity like normal. If the staggered hatch is only a few days (I was told up to 10 days apart). It will be fine to put all on lockdown... as for turning I didn’t turn any of them because of them being shipped eggs. I as told you wouldn’t have to turn any at that point. Preference I guess. A quick open and turn shouldn’t hurt the farther along ones... others may have other opinions on this..

Also as stated it can but may not reduce viability. Your choice on that.. I am setting Saturday and started saving eggs yesterday, I have them on a turner so it will turn them until I set them.

You can raise the humidity like normal. If the staggered hatch is only a few days (I was told up to 10 days apart). It will be fine to put all on lockdown... as for turning I didn’t turn any of them because of them being shipped eggs. I as told you wouldn’t have to turn any at that point. Preference I guess. A quick open and turn shouldn’t hurt the farther along ones... others may have other opinions on this..

Also as stated it can but may not reduce viability. Your choice on that.. I am setting Saturday and started saving eggs yesterday, I have them on a turner so it will turn them until I set them.
You received bad advice about not needing to turn shipped eggs. Studies have proven that it is more critical to turn eggs early during the incubation period. During the latter stages, turning is not critical because the fetus moves enough on its own.

I have tried all the recommended methods for shipped eggs and have not found any of them to have any benefits. I let shipped eggs warm to room temperature before adding them to the incubator. Once they are added, I start the auto turner. I do not get any worse hatches by doing this and I do occasionally get the benefit of ones hatching early because they were kept too warm during transportation.

You received bad advice about not needing to turn shipped eggs. Studies have proven that it is more critical to turn eggs early during the incubation period. During the latter stages, turning is not critical because the fetus moves enough on its own.

I have tried all the recommended methods for shipped eggs and have not found any of them to have any benefits. I let shipped eggs warm to room temperature before adding them to the incubator. Once they are added, I start the auto turner. I do not get any worse hatches by doing this and I do occasionally get the benefit of ones hatching early because they were kept too warm during transportation.
I did turn them up to the first lockdown. I had detached air cells is why I didn’t turn them later. The later time is when I stopped turning

Sorry if that wasn’t clear on my other post.. :)

I did turn them up to the first lockdown. I had detached air cells is why I didn’t turn them later. The later time is when I stopped turning

Sorry if that wasn’t clear on my other post.. :)
My misunderstanding. There is no reason to turn any eggs during lockdown and not turning is not a problem during the last 10 days.

I started incubating my eggs when should I start turning them on day 3?
15854893030116033066725482410822.jpg

Back
Top Bottom