Is it okay to take momma and baby chicks outside?

zhutson789

Chirping
Apr 23, 2020
South Carolina
Is it okay to take momma and her 5 chicks that all range from 1-3 days old outside to peck around in the grass for like 15-20 mins. (I’ll have shade for them too but the 1 day ones are already eating food and scratching around.)

You and they would love that!

as Chookwagon said above, be mindful of predators, as I’m sure you would. Have a plan for how to keep them together. Momma hen will probably take of that but you want to be aware of how it’s all going. Got any dogs or cats close by?

one suggestion, from experience: Take a chair out there before you move the chicks; you’re going to want to be there longer than 15-20 minutes. :wee

You and they would love that!

as Chookwagon said above, be mindful of predators, as I’m sure you would. Have a plan for how to keep them together. Momma hen will probably take of that but you want to be aware of how it’s all going. Got any dogs or cats close by?

one suggestion, from experience: Take a chair out there before you move the chicks; you’re going to want to be there longer than 15-20 minutes. :wee
Yep I was going to just put them by the sun and shade and kinda watch but I do have this big 10 foot square wall thing that goes around the side. But yes the cats and dog would be put up at that point.

Yep I was going to just put them by the sun and shade and kinda watch but I do have this big 10 foot square wall thing that goes around the side. But yes the cats and dog would be put up at that point.
Don’t underestimate the interest your other pets will take in these chicks, and don’t assume you could intervene effectively if a dog or cat suddenly decided they wanted a chick of their own.

That‘s no reason not to have your outing though. It’s VERY important for young chicks to be outside on the real ground. 🌞 🌿🌾🐛 Just make sure the other animals are secured somewhere else.

Don’t underestimate the interest your other pets will take in these chicks, and don’t assume you could intervene effectively if a dog or cat suddenly decided they wanted a chick of their own.

That‘s no reason not to have your outing though. It’s VERY important for young chicks to be outside on the real ground. 🌞 🌿🌾🐛 Just make sure the other animals are secured somewhere else.
Yea I don’t know why your sitting here scolding me like I don’t care. I said that the pets would be put up and that I would be standing right there. And your going to sit there and tell me watch out like who do you think you are?

Yea I don’t know why your sitting here scolding me like I don’t care. I said that the pets would be put up and that I would be standing right there. And your going to sit there and tell me watch out like who do you think you are?
“Don’t assume you could intervene” like did I say I was going to do that?

I’m so sorry! I truly didn’t mean to come across as scolding you. I’m just a mother, and a nurse, and now a new chick mom- I guess it’s ingrained in me to be cautionary but encouraging at the same time.

Please forgive me If I offended you. It wasn’t intentional. I just want you to enjoy your birds. Clearly you had your bases covered.

Did you take them out?

Last edited:
I’m so sorry! I truly didn’t mean to come across as scolding you. I’m just a mother, and a nurse, and now a new chick mom- I guess it’s ingrained in me to be cautionary but encouraging at the same time.

Please forgive me If I offended you. It wasn’t intentional. I just want you to enjoy your birds. Clearly you had your bases covered.

Did you take them out?
Lol I can see that you definitely have it ingrained as a nurse during these times. You fine I’m sorry I got a little mad. I have not taken them out yet but it’ll probably be today so we can also clean

Back
Top Bottom