Is it really a big deal to give them the correct stage of food?

The hens can have the starter, but you'll probably want to buy the non medicated version. I feed my mixed age/species flock gamebird feed and put oyster shell out free choice for the layers. The gamebird costs a little more per bag but it's worth it to me to not have to try to figure out how to feed everybody seperately.

I was lurking on this page to ask pretty much the same questions about feed. My girls are right on the verge of laying. I have purchased a bag of layer feed, but haven't started using it yet. I have about a week's worth of the chick starter/grower feed left (medicated, it's all I can find in my area, ARGH!). Six my of my ten ladies are three weeks older. When they start laying, do I need to continue to feed the chick starter/grower, should I mix the feed 50/50, or should I just switch them all over to layer feed? This may sound like a silly question, but being new, I don't want to harm my younger ones nor deprive the older ones.

Quote:
I'm not sure what Flock Raiser is. Is that some sort of in-between food? Either way, the store I go to only offers starter and layer.

Barb

My chicks are 18 week, 16 weeks and 15 weeks old. Only the 18 week olds are laying so I did not want to go with Layena so I went with Purina Flock Raiser...20% protein so the younger chicks are still getting what they need but no extra calcium. I give them BOSS daily plus grass/weeds from my garden beds and any leftovers from the house.

Ok.. I'll fess up now.. I went home last night thinking that we were using the right food for our ~13 week old pullets and this morning I read the feed tag closer and found that we're feeding them layer food.. Ugg!! So, I stopped by one of the local feed store chains that I know carries Kruse feeds and they and some of their other stores only carry scratch and laying feed in mash or pellets.. Double ugg!
sad.png

So, I've got to take my kids to a dentist appt this afternoon and when thats done I'll take them to yet another feed store nearby that I believe I can at least get non-organic 'grow' food and save the laying feed for a few months down the line.. Hopefully feeding them layer for a few weeks isn't going to hurt them too much..

Quote:
I'm not sure what Flock Raiser is. Is that some sort of in-between food? Either way, the store I go to only offers starter and layer.

Barb

Flock Raiser is unmedicated 20% protein feed suitable for chickens as well as other poultry like ducks, geese, etc. I've been using it because it is the only unmedicated chick feed you can buy around here, unless you want to buy Start and Grow in 5lb. bags (=<$$!)

Quote:

Barb

Flock Raiser is unmedicated 20% protein feed suitable for chickens as well as other poultry like ducks, geese, etc. I've been using it because it is the only unmedicated chick feed you can buy around here, unless you want to buy Start and Grow in 5lb. bags (=<$$!)

Keep in mind that in some areas of the country Flock Raiser Medicated is also sold, so read the label.

Talk to the manager of your local feed store, Tractor Supply, or Farmer's co-op. I am pretty sure that if they know there is a market for certain feeds that they don't carry, they will see if they can order it. Don't talk to just a salesperson, talk to a manager! Let them know there are plenty of people who raise chickens/ducks/turkeys or whatever to justify trying to carry what ever it is you are wanting to buy!

Quote:

Keep in mind that in some areas of the country Flock Raiser Medicated is also sold, so read the label.

didn't know that. my feed store said Flock Raiser is only unmedicated because ducks can't have medicated. is this true? I'm feeding Flock Raiser with free choice oyster shell to cover all the needs of laying hens and 13-week-olds.

Quote:

didn't know that. my feed store said Flock Raiser is only unmedicated because ducks can't have medicated. is this true? I'm feeding Flock Raiser with free choice oyster shell to cover all the needs of laying hens and 13-week-olds.

That's what I was told, too, by my local feed store.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom