Is it really that easy to tame them?

MageofMist

Crowing
5 Years
Dec 9, 2016
Britain
So, I was giving my injured female quail some mealworms and took her out to look at her toe, the swelling having gone down since yesterday... I gave her a mealworm while she was in my hands and she stopped struggling right away and ate it, I then let her go and gave her 2 more and well... Now I have a quail happily perched on my arm waiting for another treat.

She doesn't like being touched, but she appears quite relaxed around me and is sitting on my arm pecking at my bracelet instead of trying to run or fly away, and peeps back to me when I whistle.

That is so cute. My buff orpingtons are the same way. I walked past the run this morning and one of them squawked at me because I didn't talk to them as I walked by. I almost always at least talk to them. They will also sit on my arm or shoulder. They have become pets to me. I originally set out trying to be more self sufficient, but I have definitely grown attached to them.

One of my Easter Eggers has gotten quite tame, with little or no effort by me. All my hens wait by the gate in the morning to greet me in the morning, but that's to be expected because they know I'm coming to give then their feed. However ObLaDa goes beyond this by squeezing herself through the opening gate as soon as she can get her body through, whereby she immediately squats by my feet and will stay that way until I pet her back!

She usually follows me around the coop/run when I'm down there, will always let me stop and pet her. While she doesn't yet hop up on my lap or shoulders as I've read some people's birds will, she will let me pick her up and stroke her whenever I want, without struggling, and will even jump up and stay on her perch when I'm scooping the poop out of the trays.
Personally? I think she has a crush on me.:love

I would not say that mine "like" me, but they are in no way scared of me. I end up accidentally kicking them when I am in the aviary because they walk around my feet as if I am just part of their living quarters. Even after kicking them, they don't seem scared the next time I come around.

Our original female button decided to stroll out the door of the aviary because I'd left it open (we do have a safety door so she couldn't escape). She's just so nosy and calm and funny, and I too have to be careful where I walk, but they definitely don't like to be touched. I offered mine silverbeet (swiss chard) this morning and they loved it, eating the leaf as I held it. It didn't take the finches long to join in too. Birds are so much fun!

Hehe birds have such different personalities, even the same breeds/hatch mates!

I have three quail in three different cages (two females and a male) who all pace the cage at me to open it up, reach in and cup them in my hands for a snuggle - they even close their eyes and really look like they're going to a happy place, had no idea birds could be so snuggly, let alone quail!

I have two quail that aren't scared of me, but don't like me haha I wonder if I try your mealworm method they would warm up more... The one hen already checks out my hands and even nips me when I go in to cuddle "Lap Quail" :p

Back
Top Bottom