Is it safe for two hens to mother?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by guinea fowl galore, Nov 6, 2011.

1. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Is it safe for the chicks?
    I've had two bantam hens share the incubation and mothering but I'm wondering how it would go with large hens. If anyone has any experience with this, please share.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know. My last multi-mom hatch was 4 silkie hens hatching and raising 2 silkie chicks! I don't know about standard chickens.

3. WFF

WFF Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    I had 2 Black Australorps raise 20 hatchery Rhode Island Reds and they did a great job.

4. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I had success with 2 japanese bantam moms sharing the nest, they shared the chicks and both were mom when they hatched. They did great.
    BUT... I had 2 serama hens share the nest and they failed because they laid eggs at different times and kept pulling the eggs under them back and forth. When one from the first batch hatched they both continued to keep tucking the rest of the eggs back and forth and neither of them got up to teach the baby to eat I believe. They covered him and kept him warm but neither hen would leave the eggs behind to help him and after 2 days he died. It upset me and the rest of the eggs went into the bator so I don't know what would have happened, but a few more hatched right away, and a few almost 2 weeks later so I'm sure if I did nothing some more would have been lost.

5. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Yes, two hens can share the hatchings, in fact I had a bantam sit for 14 days a silkie took over and finished the job. Once the job was done, the bantam wanted to claim the chick so instead of them fighting for it they both raised it..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two Mommy's are better then one, sometimes..

6. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    [​IMG]

7. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    They're all beautiful [​IMG]

I guess it will just be a trial as every hen is different. I hope things go well [​IMG]

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Are you asking large hens, with bantam eggs? I just had a horrible experience with a BCM hatching Silkie eggs, she had 4 chicks and one D'Uccle (1 week old I gave her after she hatched out) Day one all good she was still sitting on them just warming, Day 2 - I checked on them all before work everyone was good and warm and quite, then I came home she most of got restless from being locked in a brooder house and wanted to scratch around well she ended up killing 3 of the Silkies, [​IMG] I guess they were just to little for her, I found them buried, the white silkie and d'uccle were hiding in the nesting box just crying, I saved the silkie and left her with the older D'Uccle, she did fine with it, it was a week older and already eating. I won't be doing that again. Just my story
    Michele

9. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    No. I mean standard hens with standard chicks.
    Light sussex mums and Light sussex chicks.

10. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    i have 2 moms raising 13 chicks togther right now and their doing great

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by