Is it safe to use a blue poly tarp as the floor for an indoor brooder?

Cquevy

Hatching
Mar 27, 2022
I am using a wood and wire Cage without a floor as it provides my growing chicks a lot more room. It doesn’t have a floor so I placed it on top of a poly tarp and wrapped it about five or 6 inches up the sides to keep them from flicking wood shavings out into the room. I noticed on the bag that it said it had some lead content and that under California law they had to post that it was a danger. Will this be dangerous to my chickens? My chickens will be four eggs. Thanks for your answers in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    628.2 KB · Views: 53
I'd say it's fine as long as they are not eating it. If you're nervous about them getting at it, you might put a layer of cardboard between the tarp and the bedding.

My chickens have eaten plenty of foam, cardboard, insulation, etc, and it doesn't seem to hurt them. And if you're not California, no need to worry :lau

Best wishes!

The toxicities/carcinogens that California insists on warning us about are human toxicities/carcinogens that might take a lifetime to manifest. It is different for a chicken with a shorter life span.

That's what I'm using under the shavings in my brooder. They haven't eaten any of it that I can tell.
Wish I was smart enough to wrap it around like you did. I just put the pen on top of it.
Thank you so much for the very quick response! I am new to being a chicken mom and, well you know what new moms do, over worry about everything! Lol they don’t appear to be eating it, I was just worry about possible offgassing or if they keep scrapping at it they’ll rip it and possibly eat a piece. They’ll be in their coop soon enough so hopefully this short term solution is safe. They sure seem happy in their nice big space. They were living in a 40 gallon TSC container! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom