Is it Stealing?

My friend who was standing next to me, said when ever she got wrong change she kept it. I was pretty shocked, this friend makes over 100,000 a year.

Proof that a high income doesn't mean you have a functioning moral compass.

Those cashiers aren't paid squat. A mistake in their till can come out of their pay. So not only is your friend a thief, she apparently has no problem robbing poor people. Nice
smack.gif

I have an honesty story that really ended up being such a blessing to me.

It was super cold and I was a the gas station putting gas in. I had $15. That was it. My dh did not get paid for almost 2 more weeks and I was not sure what we would do. A lady came up to me and asked for some gas money. I felt led to do it, though was not sure how we would do it later. I went in and paid $5 for her and $10 for me.

I have a huge van. So I start pumping and it is going super super slow. Well I ring the guy inside and het was a little rude and said "Maam I can't make it go any faster" which was not even my point. So at $2.26 it clicks off. I am like, what happened. I turned on my car and it was FULL! I am stressing because I have no money to pay for the extra gas. I thought of leaving, but decided the right thing to do was go tell them. So I go in and he starts making me change after I told him. I re-explained that I got a FULL TANK of gas. He said it did not matter, they have to go by the pump and he HAD to give me my change.

So I helped a lady when I thought I had no money and then got a full tank of gas for $2.26 and got the change back!

Doing the right thing pays off!

I usually hand it back unless I gave a smaller bill, I usually just pocket the change without looking. Every once in awhile I'll go back and look and see they gave me too much change. I always feel really bad about it after the fact.

Taking something that is not yours is stealing. Plain and simple. I was brought up this way and I would never take change that was not mine.
I was at BigLots buying some groceries and was mischarged on some corn muffin mix. The cashier missed it. I got out ot the truck and was looking over my reciept and caught it. I thougt it is only a $1 and I really did not want to go back and stand in a long line, but still I didn't pay for it. So, I went back in with the mix and my reciept and told the lady what happened. She was so shocked that I even bothered to fix the error. She appologized for missing it and rang me up. I paid and told her that it was just a mistake and as these things happen it was ok. I told her I didn't want her to get into to trouble. She thanked me for my honesty.

Just the other day I stood at the feedstore counter trying to convince a cashier that she undercharged me
lol.png
, not that I'd mind the savings. Most of the customers we've worked with over the years in our company haven't mentioned it when we've undercharged them (usually by $50-$150) at balance time, but are the first ones to raise a stink if they thought they were overcharged by even a couple of bucks.

Quote:
So...if the drawer was over, then what? Did all the hairdressers get to split that amount & put extra in their pocket?
Years ago I had cashiering jobs; thankfully my tills always came out to within pennies of being correct (if not totally even). One night, though, I had a customer run the 'quick-change' scam on me (a valuable lesson) & I came up $20 short. My mgr tells me I need to make it up. ?!?!?! That's when I questioned him about the validity of making me pay for an HONEST (on my part) mistake & said, "So that means that when my drawer is OVER, I get to pocket that, right?" Needless to say, neither happened. I learned.
And just so's ya know, when I am given too much money or not charged for something--I make it right as well. But I always make sure that if they don't count my change back to me (a bad practice, I believe), I count it in front of them.

Back
Top Bottom