Is it Stealing?

It' stealing IMO.
I remember one time, when i was a teenager, I was on a date with my high school boyfriend. We were at a theme park and I found almost 40 dollars on the ground. He was excited and told me to keep it but I stood in place and kept looking around. I said " someone is going to be looking for this." I was going to turn it over to one of the park employees and my boyfriend at the time became upset and said "he'll just keep it then!" And I told him " then that will be on his conscience, not mine"
which really confused my boyfriend. He seemed to think everyone else would be dishonest so we might as well be dishonest ourselves. Luckily, when I was walking over to turn in the money I spotted a couple of women combing the ground where I found the money and asked them what they were looking for, when they told me the amount I found, I gave it back to them.
Boyfriend at the time didn't talk to me the rest of the day

Way to go TigerLilly. But no we do not get to split the change. WE should though, "right"? LOL, If we are over it goes into the bank for the owners to pocket. I only work in the beauty industry for 3 to 6 months out of the year do to my real job. Maybe one day I will open my own salon being that I love making people beautiful. LOL. If I do I will let you know what I do with the spare change.

Yes it is stealing. It is going to come out of someone's pocket.
Lot of great honesty stories.

A few years ago I had done my grocery shopping and was in a big hurry to get home. The store was really busy.
I got through the line and paid for everything and got out to my truck and realized I had an item in the bottom of my cart I had missed. I checked my receipt and it showed I hadn't paid for it. So i loaded everything up and went back inside and stood in line again and told them that I had missed this item before.
The look of shock on the clerks face was priceless. They told me that most people would have just left. Told them I'm not most people.

With you 100%. Maybe your friend figures a business like that can afford the loss, overcharging like they do and all... but thing is that it isn't the business that takes the loss most times. End of the shift that drawer is tallied and if it's short the money is taken out of the worker's paycheck. When she takes off with that cash she is stealing it from someone who's likely not making more than minimum wage. Rob from the poor and give to the rich is not an attitude I can stomach and I wouldn't hesitate to tell my 'friend' so... seriously if your conscious is that warped what are you planning to do to ME and mine?

Quote:
In this situation if I didn't see anyone I would have kept it. Something similar happened to me on a delivery job. I found $150 blowing down the road. I picked it up and kept it. I wasn't going to go door to door looking for the owner and most likely wouldn't have found them. Nor did I have the time. But this is an entirely different situation. I did find a rolll of quarters once in the bank and gave them to the teller.

In the event of a cashier I'd point it out and give it back.

when i was a kid my father sent me into store to get eggs with 5.00 eggs were only 69 cents i think. i bought eggs and some candy. i got change for $50.00. luckiest day ever. i kept money and gave dad his change. i didn't tell dad what happened though. i was only 8 or so.

Here is one for you.
We went through a McDonalds one day on a hot fall evening, and just ordered drinks. We get to one window, pay, go to another to pick up. That person tried to hand me a bag of food.
I held it out as they had shoved it at me and turned away...
I said this isn't ours, we only ordered drinks... the surprised look was some what priceless. I think we educated a young person that day.
Locally just around christmas our local police dept gave 6,000 in cash back to a man who had found it. He took it to the police and both he and the police canvassed the area, ran ads in the papers and after 4 months, no one claimed the correct amount, not even close to the correct amount, he was awarded the money. Which he needed since he was either unemployed or underemployed and it was just before christmas.

I went to great lengths once to get money back to a kid who had lost his wallet.
I was driving down the road and saw money blowing in the wind around on the ground. I stopped my car, grabbed as many dollars as I could and spotted a wallet.
I found a youth golf membership card, a local game store membership card and a few other things, but really address.
I called the local game store, with no luck, I then called the golf course and after a few days I got a call from the kid's mom or dad, they came over and picked the wallet up.
Kid didn't hardly say thank you....GGGrrrrr
eh, I like doing good deeds.

Back
Top Bottom