Is it worth it?

I'm looking at the Premier1 Heated Poultry Waterer. Wondering if BYC members have had a good experience with it, or if any issues came up after purchasing.
Our weather will force me to hear water somehow - is this worth it?
Thx

I just looked it up and it seems like a nice waterer but it seems a bit expensive. You could get a floating stock tank heater or a bird bath deicer, a 5 gallon bucket, and a pack of poultry watering nipples, and make one yourself pretty quickly and easily and it would work the same, possibly better, for way cheaper.

They have vertical nipples or horizontal ones. I personally like the horizontal ones. They also have poultry watering cups and a few other designs. Just depends what you’re looking for. The cups may be more likely to freeze because I think they hold some water in them but I’ve never used them so idk. They sell packs of them on Amazon and eBay. You can get quite a lot for cheap or they have smaller packs, depends how many you need. Typically one nipple is enough for about 5 birds but on my bucket I have about 4 or 5 at varying heights and opposite sides of the bucket just so multiple birds can all drink together if they want to without fighting. But fewer would probably be fine. They don’t seem to use all of them anyway but do definitely have their height preference. I have 11 birds right now.

I also have this heated dog bowl that I’ve used the last couple years in winter cause at one point my waterer broke so I got this and it works great. They also have smaller sizes for cheaper too but for some reason list them all separately.

https://www.chewy.com/kh-pet-products-thermal-bowl-pet-bowl/dp/54452

The bowl works great but this year I think I am going to try adding the heater to my bucket because they do get the water dirty pretty fast with an open waterer. But I am in Massachusetts and it kept the water unfrozen all winter.

So I think either of those options (heater in bucket or heated bowl) would be great but of course if you do not want to make your own then I think the Premier one would probably work fine as well.

Good luck!

I just looked it up and it seems like a nice waterer but it seems a bit expensive. You could get a floating stock tank heater or a bird bath deicer, a 5 gallon bucket, and a pack of poultry watering nipples, and make one yourself pretty quickly and easily and it would work the same, possibly better, for way cheaper.

They have vertical nipples or horizontal ones. I personally like the horizontal ones. They also have poultry watering cups and a few other designs. Just depends what you’re looking for. The cups may be more likely to freeze because I think they hold some water in them but I’ve never used them so idk. They sell packs of them on Amazon and eBay. You can get quite a lot for cheap or they have smaller packs, depends how many you need. Typically one nipple is enough for about 5 birds but on my bucket I have about 4 or 5 at varying heights and opposite sides of the bucket just so multiple birds can all drink together if they want to without fighting. But fewer would probably be fine. They don’t seem to use all of them anyway but do definitely have their height preference. I have 11 birds right now.

I also have this heated dog bowl that I’ve used the last couple years in winter cause at one point my waterer broke so I got this and it works great. They also have smaller sizes for cheaper too but for some reason list them all separately.

https://www.chewy.com/kh-pet-products-thermal-bowl-pet-bowl/dp/54452

The bowl works great but this year I think I am going to try adding the heater to my bucket because they do get the water dirty pretty fast with an open waterer. But I am in Massachusetts and it kept the water unfrozen all winter.

So I think either of those options (heater in bucket or heated bowl) would be great but of course if you do not want to make your own then I think the Premier one would probably work fine as well.

Good luck!
Thank you. My concern was that the insulation might be needed as well get a few weeks before zero every winter. But your idea just trigger a thought I'll need to research - electric consumption. Theory would say insulated would freeze more slowly and thus save $ long term, but I want even running about that - only making sure it works.
I have cups in the run and I'm sure those will freeze quickly. Any issues with the nipple freezing?

We do not have that exact water, but we do have a heated waterer and love it! If you go to this website:https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/coops/heated-chicken-waterers/ we use the metal one, and it works very well! Always keeps the water from freezing, even in negative degree weather!
Thanks! I looked at that one too, but it says only good to -10F. You've had it before zero. Was that F or C? We'll get a week or two at -10 to -20F every winter.
Thx again

Thank you. My concern was that the insulation might be needed as well get a few weeks before zero every winter. But your idea just trigger a thought I'll need to research - electric consumption. Theory would say insulated would freeze more slowly and thus save $ long term, but I want even running about that - only making sure it works.
I have cups in the run and I'm sure those will freeze quickly. Any issues with the nipple freezing?

That’s a good point! Not sure about the insulation. I never insulated the bowl or anything and it worked fine but we also probably don’t get as cold as you do and insulation may definitely help it to turn on later and save money. I think the sell thermocubes and timers and stuff too so it will only turn on at a certain temperature and turn off when it gets to a certain temp. Might save some money.

I’ve never really had issues with the nipples freezing, it happened a couple times but I also wasn’t using a heater or anything. I think if I had been, they wouldn’t have frozen at all. I will try a heater in there this year and see

I have zero knowledge on the Premier 1, but I desent shade tree enjahmauneer. The way they are built with the insulation, and especially the cap so it isn't shedding heat out as steam, to me it looks like a descent design from the surface. Looks like it'd be worth the $50 if it lasts. My engineering degree came from the Bullocks Unregulated Lethargic Learning School of Inconsequential Thought, University , so take that into account. :)

Thanks for the link. I'm leaning towards ordering it as I can see anything that claims to work below zero. Did you use it through the summer? Did I keep the water cold, too?

I'm the one that posted the initial review on this site, so make sure to read both pros and cons with my experience with it.

Yes I use it during the summer, actually one of my main reasons for choosing this waterer is the fact that the cord is fully removable on the latest model for summer use and the fact that the bucket is fully opaque which for me means zero algae growth. I can't say it keeps the water "cold" but I do keep it in the shade so it doesn't ever get hot.

Back
Top Bottom