Is it worth the extra $$

Pics

Ascholten

Free Ranging
Dec 12, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
I hate asking questions that probably been asked 100 times already, this is probably one of them, but I didn't find anything in my quick albeit noob search so here goes.

Layer Feed. Yes you can get the organic stuff for 40 dollars a bag, The regular Purina for about 16 a bag or the more Generic, like Dumor, for around 8 to 9 a bag. They all claim to be healthy, nutritious etc etc. They all claim to have the 16 percent protein, or whatever the number is etc etc etc.

I know, generally, as a rule of life, you get what you pay for, but WHY is one so horribly expensive, and the other appearing so dirt cheap, when up front they both appear they will be keeping the flock happy, healthy, and alive?

Yes, you are paying for a name here... Paying for 'organic' there, that part I get, but the rest of it.. what makes brand A so much better than Brand B? especially 10 dollars better?

Is there inherently something wrong with the cheap stuff that it will eventually do bad to the birds? Am I supposed to feel guilty even thinking of feeding my children the generic stuff? WHAT am I missing, that is making the 8 dollar stuff, the 8 dollar stuff? What do I need to watch out for when reading ingredients?

Thank you
Aaron

Aaron, you are asking a question I have asked myself plenty of times. I WISH I could afford organic feed -- not just for my chickens but for all of my pets and for me. My suspicion, and it's only that, is that at least some of price difference is a matter of marketing.

I used to turn up my nose at off-brand people food and drove past Aldi without a second thought. As it turns out, I am now a devoted Aldi shopper because their store brands appear to have the same or better nutritional value as the "good" brands, taste just as good or better and cost a lot less to buy. I like to stretch my dollars as far as possible while still getting good value.

My birds have been eating either get Purina, if it's on sale, or the local feed store's house brand for several years, and I haven't seen any ill effects. I am far from an expert and am looking forward to reading others' opinions.

More then 2x the price for organic feed is ridiculous! I pay only a little more for organic feed. Maybe 25% more as the cheap GMO-feed.

I choose organic bc it has no poison. And I do believe this is healthier for our planet, my chickens and me.

I never had serious health problems with my flock except with the first batch of chicks I bought in 2014.

I like brand name feed ( Nutrena and Purina) conventional. I don't buy Organic.
I shop at TSC and buy whichever is cheaper, on sale, or available when I'm there.
From what I've read DuMOR is manufactured by Purina, tag on bottom of bag is the same design.
Ingredients used are TSC specific, and nutritionally complete.
The important thing is freshness, a generic feed that's fresh is better than an Organic feed that's 5 months old. GC

I like brand name feed ( Nutrena and Purina) conventional. I don't buy Organic.
I shop at TSC and buy whichever is cheaper, on sale, or available when I'm there.
From what I've read DuMOR is manufactured by Purina, tag on bottom of bag is the same design.
Ingredients used are TSC specific, and nutritionally complete.
The important thing is freshness, a generic feed that's fresh is better than an Organic feed that's 5 months old. GC
Partly true because some nutrients / vitamines decline. Fresh is very important. . But old organic feed stored cool and dry still has no poison in it. Therefore I prefer a bit older organic feed with some fresh feed (herbs, grasses, veggies) over cheap feed with gmo corn and soy.

I gave the wrong into about the difference in price between normal an organic feed.
35394601-BF73-42E3-9F5B-7739140970AE.jpeg

D6591ED2-181E-4BCE-A2B0-5EE069D053B9.jpeg

GMO is in much bigger bags: € 0,575 /kg
Organic: € 1,20. /kg (0.66 US$ /pound)

So organic is approximate 2x the price of GMO feed.

Marketing. (I say this as a recovered corporate marketing director.) I would make sure the "cheap" feed doesn't have fillers. And if not, stretch that dollar!

Personally, I think organic and non GMO products are overhyped. (I know others will disagree.)
I disagree of course. Bc cheap and short time thinking is destroying our health and our planet. I do believe organic will get cheaper if more people buy it and there is more competition in this market.

I’m truly sorry that most people care less about a healthy planet then about a healthy bank account.

I had to spend like 15 bucks on a marked down 6 lb bag of organic crumble when my store ran out of chicken feed 2x one month. It was rediculous. I don't think it's worth paying more than 2 bucks a pound.

The 9 dollar brand is fine, don't worry. That's what I get whenever it's in stock. I do agree I seem to clean cages a bit more when I get it, but other than that I really don't see the extra 7 bucks between brands making a difference

Back
Top Bottom