is Lowes the best?

that_crazy_lady

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 13, 2008
Salina, OK
I will not have to start untill spring, but I would like to get everything together as soon as I can.

so is Lowes the best place to get fenceing? I like to use 1"x1" wire so even guinea keets can't get out. I did not know if there was some place to order it from or something.
I mite get one of those metal buildings from lowes as the coop, then give my self a run about three times the size. there is going to be one rooster and 5-7 hens. but we have one as a feed/tack/tool room, but the wind moves it about once a year, so I don't know about that.
if I don't get a building, I've got tin from the old coop roofs, and we have some stuff called felt from my dads old job for the floor. so all I would have to get is some plywood, and fenceing.
I could have a wire windoe with shutters too.

it has been to long sence I've had my own eggs, I like haveing the feathers too.

Jp

Welcome to BYC!

I'd suggest calling around your area for the best deals on materials. And, when you are actually ready to purchase it, call around again just to see if anyone has it on sale.

Also, watch Craigslist and Freecycle as you can get some great deals or stuff for free.

I don't know where you live but metal sheds get really, really hot in the summer time in some places. You'll want to make sure you have plenty of good ventilation if you go that route.

It's great that you are planning ahead.... wish I'd of done that!
he.gif

welcome-byc.gif

It's a personal opinion. I dislike our local Lowes, due to a bad exp. there, but also I stink at building. I would prefer to go and buy a dog kennel (like 10x8) and use that. If that is an issue, but what ever you build TOTALLY consider your local weather!
welcome-byc.gif

fl.gif
heres to a good coop build!

Some places like a farmer's Co-Op will sell you wire and such at a discount if you buy more than 1 or 2 rolls.

I also suggest the same as Chirpy. If you can find it used, buy it. Just make sure it's still usable.

As for planning ahead. It's better that you do it now than later. I have 27 chicks waiting for a coop to be finished so they can have some more room. They are at that age now when they are establishing their pecking order and some fights are starting to happen....

co-op duh! I knew there was somewhere around here that I was forgetting.

building is not a problem for me, I'm a PHD Post Hole Digger.
lol.png
I do like to build and craft, and my best friend is the same way. his family get mad at him cuz he puts me to work, but I like it.

I did not plan ahead befor and boy oh boy was that a mess, chickens everywhere!!!! trust me I love to plan for seeing what the lack of it can do. I kinda hate it when my family is building something and they say "we can always _____ later" I'm thinking HA!

but yah those things can get hot, I'm going to put it under a BIG tree wether it is wood, metal, or what ever.
I just thought of something, I mite have a job there soon. lol! thats a big mite though. that could be better then I thought.
I'll check into Craigslist and Freecycle, and the co-op I like the co-op. the 1"x1" wire is the only thing that I must have, I do not want any other typ of fenceing. a gals got'a know what she wants, right?

thanks and maybe it will turn out good enugh for some pics.

If you have to buy it rather than get it off Craigslist or Freecycle (I can never get anything from either of those, darn it), then Lowe's here carries Red Brand welded wire fencing. The Home Depot is a cheap horrible type from who knows where, but there are lots of broken welds and rust, even on the new fencing. About same price, though.

Back
Top Bottom