Is my 5-6 week old EE a cockerel or a pullet???

Anura

Hatching
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Hi, I am somewhat of a chicken newby (my brother had chickens when I was a kid-mostly RIR, Polish and SSH bantams), but I haven't had chickens as an adult until 5 weeks ago, when I bought what I thought were three pullets (1 red sex link, 1 black sex link, and 1 EE). I am getting a tad bit worried about my EE. I know they are difficult to sex- I spent way too much time today flipping through old EE posts, only to be even more confused about sexing these guys, but I thought I would ask for some opinions from you experienced chicken folk. I am really concerned because I can not have a rooster...
Thank you!!!!
30203_ssa52392.jpg
30203_ssa52385.jpg

welcome-byc.gif

I would be concerned as well just be looking at the width and development of the comb. Also it seems more reddish than what my Ameraucaner or EEs have looked in the past. However, maybe you can show us some other photos, like legs or overall disposition.
I really cross my fingers for you that you have a little pullet there. Either way: pretty though!!!

Both pictures are of the same bird Unfortunately s/he doesn't sit still for long, so we couldn't get the best pics of her. S/he really looks like a roo when you are up close on her face, but from a distance I think s/he looks more like a pullet (and it looks like I am not the only who thinks that-my husband thought it was wishful thinking on my part) I will try to get some better shots tomorrow.
Thanks for the quick opinions!

They say EE's have 3 distinct lines of bumps on the comb if cockerels and ionly one of pullets. Maybe in a week or two.

Good luck.

I would also have to say cockerel - very red comb for being only 5-6 weeks old.

I had an EE that I was wondering about for quite a while, but her comb was nowhere near that big and red till she was several months old. She did have the "3 row" pea comb though, while my other two had the single row, so that theory doesn't always work.

Back
Top Bottom