Is my Ameracuana roo an EE?

onthespot

Deluxe Dozens
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Riverside/Norco, CA
He is blue, known to be split to lavender. He is from pure show lines, John Blehm, Duane Urch, etc... He is in with some EE's and a few Ameraucanas. I know the mama of this young cockerel is one of the EE's because of the brown tints to his hackles and what not, but HOW THE HECK does that white body color come in? Mamma hen is your run of the mill, gold base EE hen with a lot of black smutty marks and hackles. Light green eggs. How can a supposedly pure Ameraucana blue roo, produce this color? There is ZERO chance that he is not the baby's daddy. Ze-RO.
8084_whiteee.jpg

Last edited:
Not quite sure but yes, looks like it to me. EE.

EE's lay green eggs, only true Ameraucanas lay blue.

Last edited:
Sorry, to clarify, the daddy roo, supposedly Ameraucana, hatched from a blue egg, and is blue himself, known to be split to lavender
The mama bird, is a gold based EE hen lays a light green egg, and is gold with lots of black markings and some black hackles
The cockerel in the picture is the offspring of the two above birds. Does the oddball color out of left field mean my Ameraucana is not pure?

If I am understanding correctly - The pictured bird has an ameraucana father and EE mother. That would make him an EE. If both parents were True Ameraucana and he was an oddball color that would make him a non standard ameraucana - no matter what anyone else calls it. Calling a non standard color ameraucana an EE justs adds confusion to an already confusing situation.

Lanae

The father is supposed to be pure Ameraucana. Both parents of the blue father rooster, looked pure, and were from show lines from proven breeders, blue eggs all the way back. That blue rooster should not have any weird colors hiding out there in his genetics.

I would think if it was recessive white, there would be no leakage, just a solid white offspring. If it was Dominant White with leakage, one of the two parents should appear white. I don't get it how an offspring can look white, with colored hackles, from two non-white parents, one of which should not carry "funny" genes.

Last edited:
What you're seeing is not white. It's silver.

Blue Ameraucanas carry silver genes. Most EE's carry Columbian Genes. What you have their is a blue-based silver/light columbian Easter Egger.
wink.png

COOL!!!! I like how he looks, and he (and the father) might escape the fridge since it is not some bad gene. Not sure it is a "good" gene either, but at least it is not "bad" per se. Thanks Illia!

Yes. What you're seeing in fact is a blue version of what Light Sussex are. . . Except, of course, I'm sure yours also has some other stuff in there too, but eventually you can work towards a mock-Columbian.

Back
Top Bottom