is my chick going to be alright?

Danial S

In the Brooder
May 14, 2023
last night I was getting worried about my Chukar egg with no pips so I gave into my curiosities and candeled it... turns out there was an external pip!

now im worried sick cause im afraid I might have caused a shrink wrap or something else, so I checked again and noticed it was still yawning/chewing this morning.
if I can see it chewing and whatnot, is it likely not shrinkwrapped? or is there still room for error to occur? it's been nearly 12 hours since I first noticed the pip and still no zipping, should I keep waiting it out?

ive been looking forward to a chick all summer long, so this is driving me a little crazy LOL

Removing An egg briefly from the incubator during lockdown does NOT cause shrinkwrapping, despite every chicken blog and google insisting it does.
hatching can take 24 hrs or longer, it's absorbing the yolk right now.
Now, if you took the egg out then went to make sandwiches, that might cause shrinkwrapping. :]

its been over 24 hours now since it pipped and no signs of zipping...hopefully something clicks overnight. candled again to make sure hes alright and i see some movement of the chest (breathing maybe?) so hes definetly alive...

Saw little progress. Over night so I opened the pip hole and noticed he was indeed shrink wrapped. 36 hours since pipp so I opened top shell and wetted the membrane and gently rolled it back as learned from the BYC article and YouTube videos. Woouldd like some consolation that this isn't bloody and it's time? I stopped but the chick is quite persistent on getting out so I left it back in the incubator with higher humidity to see if he'll do his thing.
IMG_20230614_134005595.jpg

I've only done a few hatches, but it looks a little early to me. None of my chicks have had that much red in the membrane. I would leave it to finish absorbing and just make sure to keep your humidity adequate.

ETA: I've only hatched quail and chickens. It's possible this is more normal for chukar, I wouldn't know.

assisted hatch was a success!! he's pretty healthy, moving around and chirping... and sleeping. I ended up removing the membrane shortly after. There was some blood, but nothing dripping and bleeding. Yolk was fully absorbed and a bit of coagulated blood was at the shell bottom. The umbilical cord was still attached but that's drying and falling off soon too.

he started off incredibly exhausted- to be expected after an arduous 36+ hour hatch... 36 hours shrink-wrapped also unfortunately means he ended up with curled toes. I'll get him in some splints tomorrow morning once he's fluffed up and rested.
heres some pictures!
IMG_20230614_192152177.jpg
IMG_20230614_192205644.jpg
IMG_20230614_192215660.jpg

assisted hatch was a success!! he's pretty healthy, moving around and chirping... and sleeping. I ended up removing the membrane shortly after. There was some blood, but nothing dripping and bleeding. Yolk was fully absorbed and a bit of coagulated blood was at the shell bottom. The umbilical cord was still attached but that's drying and falling off soon too.

he started off incredibly exhausted- to be expected after an arduous 36+ hour hatch... 36 hours shrink-wrapped also unfortunately means he ended up with curled toes. I'll get him in some splints tomorrow morning once he's fluffed up and rested.
heres some pictures!
View attachment 3542100View attachment 3542105View attachment 3542108
a rather unfortunate series of events have occured... i was in the room when i heard hedwig crawling about and by the time i got up to check out what was going on, he'd found himself slipping through a small gap of the floor of the incubator. ended up drowning for a couple seconds before i could take him out. me and my sister attempted to resuscitate the poor fella to no avail. quite grief stricken from that little fiasco

a rather unfortunate series of events have occured... i was in the room when i heard hedwig crawling about and by the time i got up to check out what was going on, he'd found himself slipping through a small gap of the floor of the incubator. ended up drowning for a couple seconds before i could take him out. me and my sister attempted to resuscitate the poor fella to no avail. quite grief stricken from that little fiasco
Poor baby :( after trying so hard and for it to die in such a stupid way is horrible. I had a weak 36hr old quail drown in a less than 1cm deep water dish with rocks in it somehow. Do you have any other eggs?

Back
Top Bottom