Is my chick ugly? Cream Legbar x Silver Spangled Hamburg

halefamily_flock

Songster
Sep 16, 2020
Southeast Misssouri
For the past year, I've been experimenting with sex-linked and auto-sexing hybrids that lay colorful, predictable eggshell colors. Most have turned out really cool. This particular blue-egger hybrid wasn't on my list initially, but I had a lot of demand for blue eggs from people who wanted to buy my chicks. I currently only have 2 Cream Legbar laying hens. Breeding my Hamburg hens with Cream Legbar rooster doubled my capacity to produce blue-egger chicks. Here's what they look like...
(I'm presuming female on the left, male on the right but please let me know if you think I got the sex wrong)
Blue_eggerNo2_1.JPG
Blue_eggerNo2_3.JPG

The females aren't bad looking, although not the prettiest in the flock. I hatched 5 of them, with just this one male.

But I'm afraid the male chick is ...ugly. Maybe he will get prettier as he gets his feathers? What do you think? Am I being too critical of this sweet little one-day-old chick?
Blue_eggerNo2_5.JPG

For comparison, here's what I get when I cross the same hen with my Golden Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben...
white_egger_chick2.jpg
white_egger_chick.jpg

What do you think?

front 1st from the left in first pic.
front 2nd from the right and he is looking at cam in 2nd pic.

Maybe 🤣
That was also my pick. If so, he's fairly distinctive looking with that big white patch on top of his head! I think he's a cutie! Are we right? Hope you'll keep posting pics to this thread as he feathers out.

Back
Top Bottom