Is my chicken sick??

coltgrizzz

Songster
Aug 24, 2018
New Jersey
So one of my newer chickens (she turned 1 in April) just finished moulting about a week ago. The thing is, her comb is still pale pink and she won’t allow anyone very close to her. I haven’t had this with my other birds, any suggestions as to what’s happening with her?

Attachments

• DCA3787C-63A0-46BC-ACB7-CEEA6D630504.jpeg
    DCA3787C-63A0-46BC-ACB7-CEEA6D630504.jpeg
    474.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 42B5C78B-10D3-4E1F-860D-5CC5DC352EC2.jpeg
    42B5C78B-10D3-4E1F-860D-5CC5DC352EC2.jpeg
    346.3 KB · Views: 13
She may look done, but may actually still be in the process of regrowing feathers. Sometimes it is very hard to tell. They really don't like to be handled much when this is going on since the newly growing feathers can be sensitive. I've got a couple that are REALLY testy right now during molt, they do not want to be messed with. If she seems healthy otherwise I would just give her some more time.

She may look done, but may actually still be in the process of regrowing feathers. Sometimes it is very hard to tell. They really don't like to be handled much when this is going on since the newly growing feathers can be sensitive. I've got a couple that are REALLY testy right now during molt, they do not want to be messed with. If she seems healthy otherwise I would just give her some more time.
Ah that you! I’ve had chickens for a while but usually a few days after their molt stops they return to normal. Perhaps it’s just leghorns since this is my first time with the breed

So one of my newer chickens (she turned 1 in April) just finished moulting about a week ago. The thing is, her comb is still pale pink and she won’t allow anyone very close to her. I haven’t had this with my other birds, any suggestions as to what’s happening with her?

Does she normally let you handle her?
I would say she is still molting, you just don't see all the pin feathers up underneath her.

Back
Top Bottom