Is my chicken sick?

chattycathy4444

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2015
Have a three year old hen and recently, her legs each had a raw spot. None of the other chickens have anything appearing wrong. Tonight I cleaned them and put neosporin on them. While holding her, I found a funky sore on her back down at base of feathers. It was a raised tubular looking sore. Don’t know if I need to get her out of the coop. I have 14 others girls. I’m gonna try to attach pics. I’ve researched and don’t see nights or bugs. Appreciate any thoughts or comments. Thxs!!!

Attachments

• DB09C299-9EBD-4106-BE65-B960CB443643.jpeg
    DB09C299-9EBD-4106-BE65-B960CB443643.jpeg
    604 KB · Views: 7
  • F0DD6C6F-9F71-4D89-98AC-C55E734CA828.jpeg
    F0DD6C6F-9F71-4D89-98AC-C55E734CA828.jpeg
    530.7 KB · Views: 6
The thing on her back is her oil or preen gland, and normal. I would check her for mites and lice, since her back looks dirty, but that could just be dirt.

The scales are missing, so I would dab on some betadine or Vetericyn on the wound every day. She could have injured the leg or she or another may have pecked at it.

I don't know what you are dealing with, but you can't do much harm by isolating this one chicken while you research/wait for possible answers. I am signing on to this thread because I would like to know what you are dealing with too. Are there any other symptoms?

The thing on her back is her oil or preen gland, and normal. I would check her for mites and lice, since her back looks dirty, but that could just be dirt.

The scales are missing, so I would dab on some betadine or Vetericyn on the wound every day. She could have injured the leg or she or another may have pecked at it.
Wow! Thanks so much!!! That looks just like the pictures of preen gland.

Wow! Thank you SO MUCH!!! I was so afraid it was some growth!!!! I haven't seen lice or mites and I try to keep diatomaceous earth powder lightly mixed in nesting boxes, coop floor, perches to help with mites, etc. I clean regularly and change bedding regularly. We did just do a major overhaul on the coop and put down a pretty thick layer of mulch - natural - not dyed or chemically treated. We have really wet land and with all the rain Ohio has had, we worked on raising the coop. The mulch is pretty fresh and I think that is a lot of the black speck that is on her.

Do you think the neosporin is safe or is the vetericyn stronger or vet prescribed?

Thanks again!!!!

Wow, learn something new everyday. FYI, I found a BYC thread on the preen gland here. Good info and has a picture.
Thanks for sharing. Informative and glad my chicken didn't have some weird growth. Think the fact I was looking for trouble and saw that. Haven't really sat and held a chicken all night -- LOL
Have a three year old hen and recently, her legs each had a raw spot. None of the other chickens have anything appearing wrong. Tonight I cleaned them and put neosporin on them. While holding her, I found a funky sore on her back down at base of feathers. It was a raised tubular looking sore. Don’t know if I need to get her out of the coop. I have 14 others girls. I’m gonna try to attach pics. I’ve researched and don’t see nights or bugs. Appreciate any thoughts or comments. Thxs!!!

I’ve been doctoring and she is no worse. However, today I lost a chicken...same breed as the one I posted about. No other of my 13 chickens have any problems. I did pressure wash my coop and sprayed for mites and put down more DE. My new question is; same chicken and today I noticed some funky feathers on her wing. I’m attaching a photo.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• 478664F3-F5B5-467D-BC2D-ED4B62C35FDB.jpeg
    478664F3-F5B5-467D-BC2D-ED4B62C35FDB.jpeg
    425.8 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom