Is my chicken's toe/foot broken?

ashleyimme

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2019
View attachment 1924378 My chicken will not use her one leg. She won't come out of the coop on her own because she won't go down the ramp and won't go in the coop at night on her own because she won't go up the ramp! When she's on flat ground, she tries to hop on one leg but is often unsuccessful and it results in her using her wings to catch herself- it's a very sad sight to see :(

She has a toe nail that's been missing since I got her (you'll notice in the picture) but upon further inspection it seems her middle toe is crooked and has a lump on it. Is this a broken toe? I'm not sure if it was like this before or not.

It's been 2 days now and no improvement, wondering what is wrong and if there is anything I can do at home for her?

Sorry the picture isn't the best (dirt and mud from the rainy week we've had here), but I couldn't wash her foot off by myself.

Attachments

• 9kLuydKMSviec866rpOcUg.jpg
    9kLuydKMSviec866rpOcUg.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 34
I don't know about the toe/foot, but I think you need to clip her toenails (no offense, it happens to everybody)! And yes, it is possible to clip a chickens tonails, just make sure not to cut the quick.

I was wondering about that lol, they looked really long. First time chicken owner- I have no idea what’s normal and not normal! Lol.

View attachment 1924378 My chicken will not use her one leg. She won't come out of the coop on her own because she won't go down the ramp and won't go in the coop at night on her own because she won't go up the ramp! When she's on flat ground, she tries to hop on one leg but is often unsuccessful and it results in her using her wings to catch herself- it's a very sad sight to see :(
It's been 2 days now and no improvement, wondering what is wrong and if there is anything I can do at home for her?

Sorry the picture isn't the best (dirt and mud from the rainy week we've had here), but I couldn't wash her foot off by myself.
Can you wash the foot really well and take some more photos? Top and sides of the foot too please.

It does look like she has Bumblefoot (red circle on foot pad), but seeing the lumps on that toe from the side and top (red arrows) would be good.

Is she able to get to food/water on her own - you mention she's having a hard time and not coming out of the coop. Since she's struggling, it would be good to cage her so she has her own food/water and can rest a bit. I do agree, the toenails can use a trim, you will want to do this over many weeks to get them back in shape. Take a little at a time.
Also what do you feed and is she still laying eggs?
Bumblefoot can be treated a number of ways, a lot depends on how much time you have. See the links below for a few various methods.

Cutting the Bumblefoot out https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

Daily soaks in Tricide Neo https://ouroneacrefarm.com/2013/11/09/bumblefoot-treatment-tricideneo/

"Non Surgical" treatment https://www.tillysnest.com/2015/12/non-surgical-bumblefoot-treatment.html/?spref=pi
upload_2019-10-4_23-30-51.png

Here are a few more pics. She’s still hopping around but after soaking and inspecting I don’t really see a place that could be bumblefoot. I splinted her middle toe thinking maybe it’s broken?

Attachments

• CA7D3023-DA9A-42D0-8A4F-AAEF4238F249.jpeg
    CA7D3023-DA9A-42D0-8A4F-AAEF4238F249.jpeg
    441.4 KB · Views: 20
Here’s another one of her foot from the bottom. It doesn’t look like the pics I’ve seen of bumble foot I don’t think.

Attachments

• BAAD2778-C43C-4ECF-9788-0A30982B04B4.jpeg
    BAAD2778-C43C-4ECF-9788-0A30982B04B4.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 3F310126-5A1C-453E-B51B-32A6A860C2CE.jpeg
    3F310126-5A1C-453E-B51B-32A6A860C2CE.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 16
The middle toe may have been broken at some point, see how the splinting goes- it might help. I would check the splint often to make sure it's not rubbing or too tight.
Work on getting the nails shorter too.
I do see a small place on the foot pad and the scales on the toes and foot are raised which would likely indicate the start of Scaly Leg Mites.
For the foot, I think I would just soak it daily in epsom salts to see if that makes a difference. First few times, gently scrub the scales of the toes and foot to loosen the debris that's under them. Dry the feet well, then apply some type of oil (vaseline, castor oil, coconut oil, etc.) the oil will smother any SLM.

It would be a good idea to check her over well for any lice or mites on the body too (these are different from SLM. Look under the wings, chin and around the vent for any crawling bugs. If you find any, use a permethrin based poultry spray or dust to treat her.

She has a toe nail that's been missing since I got her (you'll notice in the picture) but upon further inspection it seems her middle toe is crooked and has a lump on it. Is this a broken toe? I'm not sure if it was like this before or not.

How long have you had her?
Has she limped from the start?

Back
Top Bottom