Is my coop big enough?

clepperchicks

Hatching
Mar 21, 2016
Yelm, washington
I have 4 hens right now but want to get a couple more and probably a rooster (if I need one) I'm not sure if our little hen house is big enough for them to all be in there at night. The 4 all sit on the roost at night. It's probably 4 feet long 2 feet deep and 3 ft high. Any recommendations are welcome!

If all 4 will sit in there then I wouldn't add anymore, new ones will not want to be next to the existing birds and can't get away from them. Unfortunately those coops are too small.

When you build your new coop plan on 4 square feet per bird that you have, and add on square footage for more that you might get later. For 7 birds that would be 28 square feet or a 4 foot by 7 foot coop. The outside run should be about 10 square feet per bird to allow them room to move around without bumping into each other. Better to have more room than you need than not enough. That square footage does not include having food, water, or nesting boxes in the coop.

I agree, always provide lots of room, some birds get along fine, but then sometimes one doesn't like being crowded and things can go downhill quickly. In the world of chickens if a set territory becomes crowded the instinct is to try to drive out weaker members, that's why often people have trouble with birds getting pecked or bullied. And don't forget to factor in your own desire to add more, or the need for replacements in the future.

The girls get along great so their coop works for them! They have free range of my back Yard (a little more than 1/4 acre) most of the Time. If not they are in a 20x15 pen So that's plenty big for them. Thanks for the input! We might just be sticking with our 4 hens for now!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom