jackoeVogel23

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2017
i have 1 and a half year old pekins. I get an egg a day from each of them, all year round! They are very consistent except a few hick ups here and there. I noticed my one stopped laying about 3 or 4 days ago. I always see her in her nest, but never an egg. She goes back and forth to her nest in the morning and will sit, but no egg. I haven’t experienced brooding so I’m not sure if that is what she could be doing? I don’t have any drakes, just the 2 females. I feel her lower belly and around her butt hole to make sure i don’t feel any hardness or eggs. Her belly feels normal and she doesn’t show signs of discomfort. She acts her happy self and eats and drinks and swims! Not sure if I should take her to the vet, or if this is just something that happens after a while. Could she be done laying eggs this young? Someone please help!

Thanks!!

Sounds Broody or is she straining when off the nest. An egg bound Hen will tuck her tail and strain, possibly limp and go off feed.

What do you mean straining when off the nest? She lifts her little tail when she is making circles to get comfty to lay, but nothing lol she has me so worried! Haven’t experienced brooding in the year they have been laying. She poops alot still. Would she be pooping if she was egg bound?

What do you mean straining when off the nest? She lifts her little tail when she is making circles to get comfty to lay, but nothing lol she has me so worried! Haven’t experienced brooding in the year they have been laying. She poops alot still. Would she be pooping if she was egg bound?
Then she is going Broody. If you don't want her Broody lock her out for most of the day or place something on her desired spot to nest..

Then she is going Broody. If you don't want her Broody lock her out for most of the day or place something on her desired spot to nest..

She only does this in the mornigs (as far as i know) she does not do it during the evenings. I’m fine with her broody unless it isn’t good for her to do? Just has me worried she binded and I don’t want to risk her getting worse if she is.

If she is normal in all other ways then she likes that spot in the morning to rest. Have you looked under the bedding for eggs?

Yeah, no eggs anywhere. They have their house and run they stay in and I sit out with them in the evenings so they can range. No egg anywhere these past few days, but noticed she lays in the nest more.

Back
Top Bottom