Is my flock normal?

Goodness, are you sure you didn't accidentally select "yes, I would like the velociraptor version of all of these" when you were placing your hatchery order?

I don't handle them as much as some folks do, which is where I'm positive the difference lies. After a few weeks old, I might pick them up a few times a month for heath stuff but no more. If a bird gets bitey, I give them a smack. Treats are given from bowls, not hands, because all but a few have rubbish table manners and will try and eat the surface the food is on too. Occasionally, I'll have a bird that wouldn't stop being friendly even if you waved a grenade at them, but for the most part, unhandled birds revert to being wary of humans.

Some of my hens fly up on heads/shoulders, but I don't allow them to stay there. I discourage it heavily, and they generally grow out of it by POL. Roosters don't pull that trick so often.

Last edited:
Oh, and not handling them doesn't mean that they're spazzy. It just means that they aren't so pushy. These guys were handled minimally, pushed out of my space if they came in without permission, and smacked if they got out of line by even a toenail. They're still eating out of my lap without fear. This was probably the only time that year that I let any birds do this, by the way. They get annoying if I do it regularly, much like you mentioned in your first post.

I had one old hen once that had intelligence comparable to that of a young toddler, I think, only in a more bird-y manner. She was a dignified old girl, but to the very last day that I had her, she'd waddle over in a dead sprint if I sat down, and she would bill and peck at my lap like I had suet hidden in my pockets. Why? Because once, just once, I had some good treats in my lap. I didn't mind, though. She made me laugh.
P1320106.JPG

Last edited:
Hens wing dance, tidbit, grow spurs, flog my legs when they feel it's dinner time, and crow. Roosters are wimps. A sudden death in the flock also means a sudden meal. In one instance, they didn't even wait for select victim to kick the bucket before digging in.
Hens?? You must have selected the dinosaur option.

To put it lightly, I have a scary bunch of birds. They're friendly and assertive to the point of being over-the-top. Whether unleashing them in the morning, or simply walking outside at any point, there are birds flying from every direction directly at faces/onto heads/shoulders (flying on top of each other if there's no available square inch on which to sit), not to mention mobbing feet so that it's impossible to move. If I had $5 for every time I've ended up with scratches near my eyes, cheeks, and inside my bottom lip after a simple outdoor excursion, I'd be well-off. Sprinting doesn't work, either. ;) By that point, they've gained so much momentum from running/flying after an attempted escapee, stopping suddenly means instant death for the unlucky individual. Guests aren't an exception. I'm truly afraid my little crazies will injure everyone from UPS personnel, to the mail lady.

That's only the beginning! An open door to the mud room comes as an invitation to all 70-some chickens, ducks, and turkeys. Nothing's scarier than an aggressive oncoming flood of birds who act as a battering ram while you're trying to shut them out. Some literally push their way in. And the last thing I want is to be alone in an enclosed space with these feathered maniacs. It's nearly impossible to remove them, unless bribed with snacks.

Nearly everything is intimidated by vehicles, correct? Not these birds! After pulling into the driveway after a long day of errands, anticipating relaxation, such dreams are shattered by a flock en masse storming my car....immediately. Honking loudly to prevent them from getting flattened just doesn't work! The worst part? Praying they won't fly inside while you're vulnerable, which has happened in the past. Terrifying, to say the least.

As an avid flock photographer, I am required to practically lie down in order to capture the best angles. My beloved ladies, Marans particularly, seize the opportunity to do what they do best....bite through clothes. There are bruises and drawn blood everywhere on my body. I should win an award for the ability to hold still enough to take clear pictures, all the while being ripped apart behind the scenes. It's become an Olympic sport, in my opinion. Might I add that a certain little cockerel routinely perches on my back and munches my sensitive ears during photoshoots, as well?

Hens wing dance, tidbit, grow spurs, flog my legs when they feel it's dinner time, and crow. Roosters are wimps. A sudden death in the flock also means a sudden meal. In one instance, they didn't even wait for select victim to kick the bucket before digging in.

Is this normal? Please tell me I'm not alone here!

~Alex

Oh my goodness :oops: this sounds like a Stephen King novel! Mine only get crazy when there are tomatoes or strawberries involved!

Back
Top Bottom