Is my hen abandoning her chicks?

ame087192

Songster
7 Years
Dec 28, 2015
Clovis, CA
I’m wondering if this is normal mom behavior or should I intervene?
I have a mother hen who was a surrogate to four bantam chicks. She took to them very well and has been a great mother for four weeks now. She’s been very protective of them, and introduced them to the flock. However now that the chicks are a month old she leaves them alone quite a bit. Today, she’s not sleeping with them under her, instead they are on a roost, just like the big hens. They all have their feathers, and it’s only going to drop down to 67 degrees tonight, so I don’t think they will freeze- but they are still ‘babies’.
thoughts? Should I grab them and move them to the brooder box? Or is this normal chicken behavior?
Thanks!

Your hen is probably a couple days away from laying eggs, and if she is like mine it is a trial run of abondoning the chicks a few days before. The fact that she stayed is because all the chicks made it up with her to the roost, which is really fortunate for you. Mine will do fake abandons at night to the adult roost, and jump back down for about two days before actually abandoning them. After the two or three days of faking, she will stay on the high roost and the chicks better know where they are going to sleep because she is staying in the roost and ready to lay.

Last edited:
I’m wondering if this is normal mom behavior or should I intervene?
I have a mother hen who was a surrogate to four bantam chicks. She took to them very well and has been a great mother for four weeks now. She’s been very protective of them, and introduced them to the flock. However now that the chicks are a month old she leaves them alone quite a bit. Today, she’s not sleeping with them under her, instead they are on a roost, just like the big hens. They all have their feathers, and it’s only going to drop down to 67 degrees tonight, so I don’t think they will freeze- but they are still ‘babies’.
thoughts? Should I grab them and move them to the brooder box? Or is this normal chicken behavior?
Thanks!
I have my chicks doing this all the time, they actually started hating the heated lamp so I’m positive it’s fine! My chicks always sleep on roosts now

Back
Top Bottom