Is my hen still ill or is she recovering?

Lbittner

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2020
4 days ago I found my 3 year old hen laying by her waterer. She started walking very slowly, like a penguin, tail down, stomach swollen. Her butt was covered in white/yellow slimy stinky poo and just seemed like she was fading fast. I brought her inside and proceeded to google what could be wrong. Tried finding a vet with no luck so consulted the “chicken expert” at my local feed store. We decided on scaly leg mites and gleet as the issues. I’ve been giving her baths, Vaseline on the legs, anti fungal cream in and around her vent, probiotics, electrolytes, apple cider vinegar, and Greek yogurt for treatment. Her tail is now up, her stomach is less swollen, and she’s fluffing her feathers again. She still has gross poop, is very very quiet, doesn’t seem to be eating or drinking much, and is slightly bow legged. She’ll also fall asleep while I’m sitting in front of her. I feel like she’s getting better but the poop and bowed legs makes me wonder. So how do I know when she’s ready for the coop again?

Back
Top Bottom