Is my hens waste normal, and how do I clean her butt?

3SiameseCats

Songster
Jun 24, 2023
Massachusetts
One of my hens hasn’t layed an egg in a few days, so I’ve been keeping an eye on her. I believe she pooped this out. Her butt has also been really messy and I’m unsure how to clean it.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_8573.jpeg
    IMG_8573.jpeg
    626.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8581.jpeg
    IMG_8581.jpeg
    466.6 KB · Views: 12
The poop is perfectly normal. Many hens become poopy around the vent. It's simple to run a basin of warm water, back the hen up to it, ans splash water on the crusty feathers to soften it.

You may need to use a little liquid soap or children's body wash, and massage it into the crusty feathers. Pull off the poop, and rinse with clean water. In winter, use a hair dryer to dry the feathers. In summer, she can air dry.

The poop is perfectly normal. Many hens become poopy around the vent. It's simple to run a basin of warm water, back the hen up to it, ans splash water on the crusty feathers to soften it.

You may need to use a little liquid soap or children's body wash, and massage it into the crusty feathers. Pull off the poop, and rinse with clean water. In winter, use a hair dryer to dry the feathers. In summer, she can air dry.
Ok thanks! I just didn’t know if I saw blood or not. How to I get the hen not to freak out to be bathed?

Hold her firmly with your arm wrapped around her and especially control her feet. A firmly held chicken will feel secure and is less likely to fight you.

you can wrap her in a towel or slide a cut off sweatpants leg over her middle section . my hens seem to like the "chicken bidet" they stand still for it so i dont use anything.

Back
Top Bottom