Is my rooster a hermaphrodite?

Princess Jinya

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 18, 2009
I got a rooster, about six months old, three weeks ago. He's been working on both my hens, although one of them successfully avoids him all the time. The two hens are not even close in age or size. One hen (white) has been laying constantly, the other one (a black banty-type) only laid one egg, and that was before the rooster arrived. The last three days, the rooster has been nesting in the house, in one particular box. He stays in there for about an hour. Today, in that box, was a small egg. I never saw the black hen in the box, ever. She never hangs around the house, and the one egg she laid was outside on the bare ground, no little hole or under a bush or any type of nesting behavior.
My question is, and don't laugh.... can roosters be both a boy and a girl, like hermaphrodites? Could he have somehow laid an egg?
Hey. I can tell you're laughing. But seriously, has this ever happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
lau.gif
gig.gif

There are cases of hermaphroditism in chickens. Spotted Crow, one of our members here, did have one. However, it's highly unusual and I think your hen laid that egg. Could also be that your rooster isn't a rooster at all and did lay the egg. It's unusual, but some have thought they had a rooster till they got an egg from that particular bird.

***BTW, I changed your title to be in line with the actual subject matter.

I appreciate the humor of the situation, but your answer really isn't much help... or is it? Can this situation never, never happen? So, was the nesting behavior just the rooster (Colonel Sanders) way of showing the black banty (Stephanie) how to nest and lay an egg? Why would she wait so long between eggs? Is it totally impossible for a rooster to have both sets of reproductive equipment?
Should I open the egg and tell you what's inside? Maybe it's blank.

and Big Chicken Little, you both made my husband laugh till he cried, and I totally understand. But anyway, what if this rooster has a big comb and crows incessantly? And humps the hens? That's pretty much rooster behavior, right? And there are spur nubs forming. Do you think Stephanie just waited till she had a husband to lay eggs? That seems equally crazy, you know. But the big hen, Sweetiepie, lays really big eggs, so I can tell the difference, and Steph HAS NOT laid any eggs after that first one weeks ago. Is that normal? I thought she just kind of tried it once and didn't like it, so she quit.

lau.gif

ok ok ok ok speckled hens answer is exactly what i was thinking but it wouldnt come out cuz i was on the floor laughing......anywho she is right
big_smile.png

I posted of this a while ago. My sil, who has Fort Knox coops, had a roo isolated in a coop. She had him isolated, b/c she was not using him for breeding at that time. She HAD used him successfully many times in the past.

It has happened twice now, that while this certain roo is isolated, he has laid eggs. There is absolutely no wya any other hen could have gotten in his coop, to lay an egg.

My sil confided in me, thinking she was crazy, and thinking that I would think she was crazy, but she swears it is true and I believe her. When I posted it, everyone thought I was crazy too.

So, all I;m saying is it IS possible I have no other explanation as to the how and why's.

Well I guess I will have to isolate this guy, but I feel bad about doing it, because he has been a great leader for the girls, walkin them all around the yard and showing them where to scratch, etc. They were very timid before he got here, and they wouldn't walk more than ten feet from the coop. Is there a way I could tell if Stephanie laid the egg by looking at her butt? She hates to be held because she was raised by someone else and given to me, and I guess they didn't handle her. Same with Colonel Sanders. But I can, with effort, catch them. Should I look at both their butts? I don't know how to tell, really, if they have just laid an egg or not. Is there a better way?

Back
Top Bottom