Is my run cluttered enough?

The main questions for this (got a bit sidetracked on the OP and in following posts) were:
a) what do you think of the stuff in there?
b) should I add/remove stuff, if so, what stuff?
I would add height. Since they use the roost bar, make one a foot or more higher to give them some options & maybe flying a little to get down. You could span a corner with a rod or 2x4 or wooden closet rod, that's the easiest, giving you the walls for support. If you're seriously going to add new birds, keep in mind to incorporate barriers and hiding spots as the flock gets used to them. I use old tires - stand them up, drive a fence stake to lean them on and wire together. The hen chasing the other has to climb through. But then they sometimes like to roost in & on them. Good luck!

I would add height. Since they use the roost bar, make one a foot or more higher to give them some options & maybe flying a little to get down. You could span a corner with a rod or 2x4 or wooden closet rod, that's the easiest, giving you the walls for support. If you're seriously going to add new birds, keep in mind to incorporate barriers and hiding spots as the flock gets used to them. I use old tires - stand them up, drive a fence stake to lean them on and wire together. The hen chasing the other has to climb through. But then they sometimes like to roost in & on them. Good luck!
But
View attachment 2404149
Both arms on the chair gave out and the girls love their new playground!
View attachment 2404150
View attachment 2404151
I took the stool out and moved the perch to the other side of the run.
That's so quaint looking & perfect for them. You've got a neat set up with a good size house.
Another thought is to add fenced area outside the run - 3 - 4 ft extra to let them out once in a while but into protected space. It doesn't have to be tall. Like those pet tunnels

View attachment 2402937
What are your comments/thoughts/suggestions?

you can always optimize by moving things out of the way and/or hanging them.

e.g. I would
1) hang feeder and water on the side of the coop instead of middle of the run
2) use nipple waterer which takes much less space (not to mention the maintenance)
3) perch(es) do not need to have legs. You can attach them diagonally at the corners of the run to your vertical 2x4s or the side of the coop (at the heights that allow chickens to walk under)

you can always optimize by moving things out of the way and/or hanging them.

e.g. I would
1) hang feeder and water on the side of the coop instead of middle of the run
2) use nipple waterer which takes much less space (not to mention the maintenance)
3) perch(es) do not need to have legs. You can attach them diagonally at the corners of the run to your vertical 2x4s or the side of the coop (at the heights that allow chickens to walk under)
Can't hang the waterer atm because it needs the heated base. Can't hang the feeder because it is on the tray. We tried to get a nipple waterer but tsc didn't have any when we went, and it's a LONG way away. At the height/size we would want, there isn't really any wood to attach perches to, just hardware cloth.

But

That's so quaint looking & perfect for them. You've got a neat set up with a good size house.
Another thought is to add fenced area outside the run - 3 - 4 ft extra to let them out once in a while but into protected space. It doesn't have to be tall. Like those pet tunnels
Thank you! We allow them to free range under supervision every couple of days. I like the idea of an enclosed area for them to be out in when we're home, but can't watch them, but the concern is covering it. They are very good flyers.

At the height/size we would want, there isn't really any wood to attach perches to, just hardware cloth.
you can always add more framing to the run walls and/or put longer perches. You have a door in one of the corners, but other 3 corners are a fair game (2 of them would involve coop wall)

i put a fairly large stump in mine- it’s pretty old and some parts of it is rotten. the girls seem to love picking at it and hopping onto it. i plan on hiding some treats in the holes in it and such for them to find and pick at
We checked but we don't have one of those.

you can always add more framing to the run walls and/or put longer perches. You have a door in one of the corners, but other 3 corners are a fair game (2 of them would involve coop wall)
Good idea to use the corners with the coop! Why didn't I think of that :rolleyes:

So I didn’t read any of the thread other than the OP, but personally I find that feeders are a struggle. Rain can really ruin chicken feed quick, especially in an open milk jug.
I use “Grandpas feeder” which is a good sized closed feeder, which is opened by the weight of the chicken. To access the food, chickens stand in the platform, which opens the hatch to the feeder. Even when it’s raining the hatch door covers the food so nothing is ever wet, and side guards prevent angled rain, and chickens from eating on the side (the only way to get to the food is if there is a chicken in the platform, if the side guards didn’t exist, there could be a chicken on the platform, but a chicken off the platform eating from the side. If the chicken on the platform stepped down, the chicken eating from the side could get its head smashed in. That’s why the side guards are important) if chickens step down, the hatch closes. Rodents can access the feed because the platform can only open the hatch by the weight of a chicken, and rodents are to light. Even if a rodent was to get in, the metal grill prevents them from getting in. It covers the feed so chickens can’t use their beaks to scoop out all the food. The sloped back makes this a gravity feeder, and makes sure the food is always the perfect level for them to be able to access it through the spaces in the grill.
CD2F3CBA-A68A-451A-AB34-F43AC457F44A.jpeg
yes it’s... a LITTLE expensive, but I have never had another feeder and this one is great and definitely worth it!

(Picture is from their website I have no idea why the chickens are eating cor

I don’t know if anyone else suggested a feeder like this, but i didn’t read the thread so this is my suggestion! ;)

Back
Top Bottom