Is my run safe for my chickens? Florida problem

ourrune

Chirping
May 20, 2015
Palm bay fl

The dirt in my run is basically sand because im in florida problem is it has broken up shells in it some small large jagged. Im worried this could be hazardous to my girls. Anyone in florida have experience with this or anyone have an educated opinion or guess? Th ey r 10 weeks i need to get them out of the house they need out badly we just got our coop done but now im afraid to leave them in here not sure what to do please help!

Ive seen two of them oick them up and try to break them up with their beaks but when they cant they gjve up and walk away. There are too many to pick them out. I know we give tjem oyster shell which some of it might be but they shape and size of some is worrysome

Last edited:
I'm guessing that it should be fine. Chickens are adaptable and they tend to be pretty smart about what to eat and what not to eat. As long as they are getting enough food and enough minerals and calcium they should be safe.

Good luck with your chickens!
smile.png

I'm guessing that it should be fine. Chickens are adaptable and they tend to be pretty smart about what to eat and what not to eat. As long as they are getting enough food and enough minerals and calcium they should be safe.

Good luck with your chickens! :)

Thank you for your time to reply!! :) i put them in today and been watching them whole time i think youre right! Its always nice to have another opinion ! Thank you :)

I'm also in central florida (Ocala), and my chickens are in 100% sand. I get shells too. It shouldn't be an issue. My problem is that I seem to have built my coop on top of what was the previous home-owner's trash pile many years ago. Apparently they just dumped more sand on top of broken bottles. Every time I rake the sand to clean it, I find small shards of glass or other odds and ends. (Today I found an extendable transistor radio antenna...?!?) I have to be careful to get each one out as it works its way to the surface. Or else my girls may get cut when they dust-bathe. (it happened once!)

You may want to make a "sand box" for your chickens, with no sharp things in it. Try putting an old car tire flat on the ground and fill it with clean sand. :)

The windows to the barn my chickens live in are mostly broken and there is glass everywhere. I find it every few days. My chickens have cut their feet a few times, but they heal from that pretty quickly. I'm not even sure they cut it on the glass.

I'm also in central florida (Ocala), and my chickens are in 100% sand. I get shells too.  It shouldn't be an issue.   My problem is that I seem to have built my coop on top of what was the previous home-owner's trash pile many years ago.  Apparently they just dumped more sand on top of broken bottles. Every time I rake the sand to clean it, I find small shards of glass or other odds and ends. (Today I found an extendable transistor radio antenna...?!?)  I have to be careful to get each one out as it works its way to the surface.  Or else my girls may get cut when they dust-bathe. (it happened once!) 

You may want to make a "sand box" for your chickens, with no sharp things in it.  Try putting an old car tire flat on the ground and fill it with clean sand.   :)

That is crazy!! I did find broken glass in there the first day also. Our dirt came from a construction site because i had to get rid of 4 inchs of the original dirt because i stupidly put ant killer all over their run. So thats why we ended up without any grass and i figure thats how they will end up by the time they are through in a month of so anyways lol. Its nice to hear from someone else using the same methods in the same "dirt" lol
and i have been contemplating the play sand pile i bought some but havent put it in thats a great idea with the spare tire. Boy they do so love dust batheing esp one of them. She purrs!! Is that normal?? Lol its too cute!

Last edited:
That is crazy!! I did find broken glass in there the first day also. Our dirt came from a construction site because i had to get rid of 4 inchs of the original dirt because i stupidly put ant killer all over their run. So thats why we ended up without any grass and i figure thats how they will end up by the time they are through in a month of so anyways lol. Its nice to hear from someone else using the same methods in the same "dirt" lol
and i have been contemplating the play sand pile i bought some but havent put it in thats a great idea with the spare tire. Boy they do so love dust batheing esp one of them. She purrs!! Is that normal?? Lol its too cute!

Back
Top Bottom