Is my Silkie chick a Roo?

AussieChickGirl24

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2020
Hello! Long time lurker first time poster.
This silkie is definitely a roo, right?
I’ve thought so for months but just wanted a 100% confirmation.

“Daydream” on the left in the first pic and on the right in the second pic. Thankyou!
83E8C0F0-4FAC-4FE2-AB83-9A0CEC80CC97.jpeg
3E4C6E2F-A4DE-478C-8EC8-2C9D07AE8679.jpeg

83E8C0F0-4FAC-4FE2-AB83-9A0CEC80CC97.jpeg
3E4C6E2F-A4DE-478C-8EC8-2C9D07AE8679.jpeg

I'd need closer pics to tell for sure, but it looks girly to me. He is she looks very nice!

You are correct that he or she is standing rather tall for a girl, but I have learned (the hard way) not to trust this method completly. Comb and hackle sexing is more accurate. Read this article for more info: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/sexing-silkies.75451/

Edit: and welcome to BYC!

I'd need closer pics to tell for sure, but it looks girly to me. He is she looks very nice!

You are correct that he or she is standing rather tall for a girl, but I have learned (the hard way) not to trust this method completly. Comb and hackle sexing is more accurate. Read this article for more info: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/sexing-silkies.75451/

Edit: and welcome to BYC!

Thank you
A lot of the pictures on the link won’t load unfortunately

If it is a pullet, then all 6 of my newest babies all turned out to be female😅
I really want a rooster though so I will try again when I go to the city and can get chicks 🐣

This chick made a strange noise I’d never heard before, when it found some bugs and all the other girls ran over
Also doesn’t try to eat until everyone else has
Would you say these are rooster behaviours?
And Thankyou!

Thank you
A lot of the pictures on the link won’t load unfortunately

If it is a pullet, then all 6 of my newest babies all turned out to be female😅
I really want a rooster though so I will try again when I go to the city and can get chicks 🐣

This chick made a strange noise I’d never heard before, when it found some bugs and all the other girls ran over
Also doesn’t try to eat until everyone else has
Would you say these are rooster behaviours?
And Thankyou!
Sorry about the pics.

That does sound like rooster behavior, but sometimes when you don't have a roo then the top-ranking hen will take over rooster duties.

Wow, you want a roo? Your one of the first! I've got plenty for ya;)

Back
Top Bottom