Is quail laying feed the same as chicken laying feed?

Linita

Chirping
Dec 16, 2022
I am guessing ...no.
My quail has a rare yeast infection and I've been looking into anything that might have led to this situation.

I am feeding her allegedly "laying quail feed" that my mom brought me from the store. She told me the clerk told her that was feed specific for laying quail. But in distrust I have asked now to see a picture of the bag label and it's says "laying chicken feed"...

Aw jeez. She's been eating that for months, since she's an adult, like 5 maybe?

What percentages of macronutrients should I look for in the mix for laying quail? Because elsewhere they also tried to sell me the laying chicken feed. They said it's the same.

How can I tell overall it's the right feed? What should it have?

I am worried right now that she has some nutrient deficiencies and I'm giving her some drops with vitamins and aminoacids.

Also every day I give her some carrot noodles to try and help with possible vitamin A deficiency. I don't know how many should I give her tho. I just give her like a small handful.

Any tips or advice on how to find the right feed and get her back to good health foodwise?

I don’t know
I am guessing ...no.
My quail has a rare yeast infection and I've been looking into anything that might have led to this situation.

I am feeding her allegedly "laying quail feed" that my mom brought me from the store. She told me the clerk told her that was feed specific for laying quail. But in distrust I have asked now to see a picture of the bag label and it's says "laying chicken feed"...

What percentages of macronutrients should I look for in the mix for laying quail? Because elsewhere they also tried to sell me the laying chicken feed. They said it's the same.

I am worried right now that she has some nutrient deficiencies and I'm giving her some drops with vitamins and aminoacids.

Also every day I give her some carrot noodles to try and help with possible vitamin A deficiency. I don't know how many should I give her tho. I just give her like a small handful.

Any tips or advice on how to find the right feed and get her back to good health foodwise?
if you would be able to find it where you live but for my quail I use game bird starter feed for their whole lives and it’s fine for them. They need at least 18% protein I would also give her oyster shells or something for calcium and grit in a separate bowl so she can eat them as needed hopefully her yeast infection and the possible bumble foot go away soon. And hopefully you get some people who are a little more experienced than me to help.
Edit: DO NOT USE this advice I learned it was wrong.

Last edited:
Game Bird Starter/Grower has way too much protein and not near enough amino acids for adult quail, that is bad advice. Use starter/grower until 6-8-10 weeks old and switch to a Gamebird Ration or Turkey/Chicken Layer feed will be fine, the lower protein and higher calcium is vital.. it’s called chick starter for a reason, not intended for the adult half of their lives..

Game Bird Starter/Grower has way too much protein and not near enough amino acids for adult quail, that is bad advice. Use starter/grower until 6-8-10 weeks old and switch to a Gamebird Ration or Turkey/Chicken Layer feed will be fine, the lower protein and higher calcium is vital.. it’s called chick starter for a reason, not intended for the adult half of their lives..
Ok thank you for this I didn’t realize that. I read multiple threads on here and just on google that said it was perfectly fine. I will try and find some lower protein food as soon as possible.

I am guessing ...no.

Can you get a picture of this bag of feed?

I feed my adult quail 16% layer crumbles labeled for chickens with NO ISSUES.

Who told you your bird has a rare yeast infection?

I am guessing ...no.

I'd not give her any treats like noodles at all. Feeding treats will cause problems.

I just went to go skim your other threads...

Your quail got injured and you are assuming it's a rare yeast infection from chicken feed?

Can you post clear photos of the sore on this quail?

I am guessing ...no.

A gamebird feed of 24% protein is adequate for adult quail, just make sure it has enough Lysine and Methionine + cystine. Lots of feed manufacturers are reducing these amino acids to their feed, due to costs.
A lower protein feed is not recommended for gamebirds, higher protein and the right amounts of amino acids and essential vitamins, produce healthier, parent stock, which inturn, will produce healthier, viable eggs and chicks.

Here’s a link to a Quail feed study from Mississippi state if you want to compare the feed you’ve been offering vs their study.

That being said when I started raising quail everyone raved about needing higher protein. My birds have only ever had game bird starter crumble (and the occasional treat.) I have that link saved because I hope one day to make my own feed and that’s the best reference I’ve found.

Back
Top Bottom