Is 'she' a hen?

MABEchicks

Chirping
Jun 5, 2017
IMG_5290.JPG
IMG_5298.JPG

(hen in question) her tail is different from all the boys. You can kind of see it in the next photo. She's in the middle of the two boys. Below. She does puff up her neck feathers sometimes it's not like the others though. She's quieter and smaller.
IMG_5292.JPG
IMG_5295.JPG
IMG_5305.JPG
IMG_5307.JPG
(These are out boys we think)

Hi! 10 weeks ago we went to our local tractor supply store and bought 6 unsexed chicks. Now we are trying to Sex and are pretty sure we have 3 RIR roosters and possibly a hen. RIRs are my favorite and I'd be so sad if all 4 were Roos. Also we have two barred rocks who we think are hens but are just hoping! Any help will be greatly appreciated. This is my first time owning chickens and I love it so much but I feel like everyday I have another question

She does look like a pullet especially if her tail is red/brown as opposed to the more colourful boys. And her legs look finer than the cockerels. Any idea how old they were when you picked them up? At this age they will all puff our their neck feathers and jockey for position in the pecking order so that isn't a male only trait.

I have to disagree with you on that. I think she is a hen but it's still a little too early to be sure and have a positive answer. I understand and know the frustration seeing how I have a BO and an EE that are only about 3 1/2 months old so I'm waiting for them to get older to actually be able to tell. This is actually my first time of having chickens. The other older ones I tend to for the property owner but the newest members are mine.

Thank you all for the replys. We sadly have to sell the boys soon and I'm hoping to keep the potential pullet!

Hey guys,
Anyone have any thoughts if my 6week old barred rock is a pullet or roo?

Attachments

• IMG_2656.JPG
    IMG_2656.JPG
    302.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2657.JPG
    IMG_2657.JPG
    294.3 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom