Is she unwell?

dawgchick

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 14, 2014
Stony Mountain, MB

On the left: Wilimena. We noticed her getting bald spots with angry red skin, particularly where the rooster grabs onto her wings/back, as well as the front of her neck. We could see new feathers coming through.

We could find no bugs and the other 19 birds in the flock have beautiful plumage.

We separated her for a month to allow new feather growth to somewhat cover her patches. She was still in the coop, with her own run, livestock fencing the barrier.

This week, I noticed our rooster has a similar bald patch on one side of his neck.

I completely clean our coop every other week, at most. We bed in hay. They get layers ration (17%), free access to oyster and a smattering of BOSS for treats.

Any ideas? Should I dust the two for lice?

The hen on the right is more typical of how our flock looks, though several do look better than her.

It looks to me that the hen on the left is your roo's "favorite." It's hard to say about the bald spot on the roo, but the stripped wing feathers on the hen look to be damage from the roos feet when he mounts her, and the bald spot behind her head would be from his beak. I would suggest a chicken saddle for her, which will help her feathers grow back and protect them from damage.

It looks to me that the hen on the left is your roo's "favorite." It's hard to say about the bald spot on the roo, but the stripped wing feathers on the hen look to be damage from the roos feet when he mounts her, and the bald spot behind her head would be from his beak. I would suggest a chicken saddle for her, which will help her feathers grow back and protect them from damage.

That just means you're a good chicken parent!
smile.png
X 2 on both counts!

Back
Top Bottom