Is the hen squat a reliable indicator of egg laying?

Smileking0505

Chirping
Apr 7, 2019
Rawlins, Wyoming
I have 6 chickens that are all 18 weeks, and got my first egg yesterday. The egg is kind of an off white-ish color. I have 2 prairie bluebells, so I think it might be from one of them? The only hen that is doing the quintessential mating squat is a sapphire gem though. I know that sapphie’s lay light brown eggs, so it’s likely not hers, but neither of my prairie bluebells do the hen mating squat yet. Do some hens start doing the squat after they start laying? Do some of them never do the squat? Both of my bluebells are really skiddish, so maybe that’s why they don’t squat…
62013C4D-149C-4697-A1E5-AE325D4A1BE5.jpeg

Yeah, you read about that all the time on here, as if it is a lead pipe cinch and every chicken in the world does that. I hate to tell you but it isn't so.

I had a 13-week-old pullet willingly squat for a 13-week-old cockerel. She did not lay an egg for at least 6 more weeks. It was not a sign for her. My pullets or hens practically never squat for me, but I generally have roosters in the flock. Some of my pullets and hens willingly squat for the roosters. Some of these are laying eggs, some are not but they might squat anyway. Some are not laying eggs, these might or might not squat. Squatting and other parts of the mating act are often more about dominance and social relationships than fertilizing the eggs.

Having said that, squatting can be a sign that a pullet is about ready to lay. I consider it a good sign, better than not squatting. The combs and wattles turning bright red is a good sign one is getting ready to lay nut not a guarantee. A pullet scratching in a nest is a good sigh that she may be getting ready to lay. There are several sigs that a pullet may be about ready to lay, but none are an absolute guarantee.

One really good way to me to check which one is laying or at least getting real close is to look at the vent. If the vent is tight and dry, she is not laying and won't be for at least a few days. If the vent is loose, pink and looks moist she is either laying or real close. Once you see the difference it's real easy to tell the difference. That won't tell you how often she is laying, but it is the best indicator I know of to tell which one unless you actually see the egg pop out.

The other good indicator that they are "close" or already laying is to check the spread in their pelvic bones. But even that can just mean they are within several days to a week or already laying.
Good point. It's more reliable to tell birds who are definitely NOT laying, but at least that helps rule out some of the possibilities.

Here is my list I have been keeping, updating every few days, last done 2 days ago. Crystal is at 2 fingers, squatting, sitting in nest box every now and then but no official egg yet. But I did have chickens eating a yolk in the shavings under the roost yesterday so she may have laid a softy, yolk only etc. A few others on the list have investigated the nest boxes but not spent much time in them. Goldy and Sassy, who started laying last week, were the first to be over 1.75 inches but NOT the first to squat or get large red combs.

581CD4EB-DE42-4D24-A48C-21E1FC53F295.jpeg

The other good indicator that they are "close" or already laying is to check the spread in their pelvic bones. But even that can just mean they are within several days to a week or already laying.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/?page=4
Good article. Just a point in the pelvic bones, experience with your flock could help your interpretation. The number of fingers might be different with a Serema versus a Jersey Giant. Or my short stubby fingers versus an artist's long slender delicate fingers. You might look at the difference in the hens' spread more than number of fingers.

A lot of this stuff may be based on science but there can be some art in the interpretation. And experience often helps.

Yeah, you read about that all the time on here, as if it is a lead pipe cinch and every chicken in the world does that. I hate to tell you but it isn't so.

I had a 13-week-old pullet willingly squat for a 13-week-old cockerel. She did not lay an egg for at least 6 more weeks. It was not a sign for her. My pullets or hens practically never squat for me, but I generally have roosters in the flock. Some of my pullets and hens willingly squat for the roosters. Some of these are laying eggs, some are not but they might squat anyway. Some are not laying eggs, these might or might not squat. Squatting and other parts of the mating act are often more about dominance and social relationships than fertilizing the eggs.

Having said that, squatting can be a sign that a pullet is about ready to lay. I consider it a good sign, better than not squatting. The combs and wattles turning bright red is a good sign one is getting ready to lay nut not a guarantee. A pullet scratching in a nest is a good sigh that she may be getting ready to lay. There are several sigs that a pullet may be about ready to lay, but none are an absolute guarantee.

One really good way to me to check which one is laying or at least getting real close is to look at the vent. If the vent is tight and dry, she is not laying and won't be for at least a few days. If the vent is loose, pink and looks moist she is either laying or real close. Once you see the difference it's real easy to tell the difference. That won't tell you how often she is laying, but it is the best indicator I know of to tell which one unless you actually see the egg pop out.
My gals are 17months and squat for me. They usually do it closer to evening during our preroost free range and its not every night. I always thought it was social relationship thing. I do take the time to squat myself and put my hands up under their wings and give them a nice little scratch which results in a little chatter and and a great big shake! They must like it because i usually wind up giving scratches to all 5 before roost 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom