Is there a bird for me??

dieselchick

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 2, 2011
I'm a trucker and am away from home 10-11 days at a time ( sometimes less). Is there a breed that I can leave unattended with maybe a programmable feeder and plenty of water? If not then maybe some suggestions on low maintenance birds. They don't have to be egg chickens. I'm not picky. I'd love to hear any comments.

I think it'd be hard to keep chickens (at least in a reasonably safe manner) if I was on the road quite a bit for days and weeks at a time. Maybe some kind of little bantam buddy or pair that you'd be willing to keep diapers on (yes - chicken diapers are real) and travel with??? Travel with a dog pen so they can graze a bit during layovers/stops??? Have a little coop for them for when you're at home??? Not sure other than silkies which breeds are really docile and would travel well??? Not an ideal life for a chicken, but maybe possible??? Should be interesting to see what folks say...

Last edited:
I wouldn't be able to take them with me but am really interested in something that I can leave unattended at home. I agree with you about leaving them home alone for several days at a time but maybe there is something out there that would be perfect for me.

Not sure, but they do have automatic doors that are set on timers that you can program to open and close to keep them safe from predators at night.

I would suggest that you concentrate on housing them where they are as secure as possible from predators. Have a popout door on a timer. Have a covered run of ideally 10 sq ft per bird. Bury a band of hardward cloth around the perimeter. Install an electric hot wire. Feeders can be purchased or built that will provide feed for the time period you will be gone. Waterers are available that attach to your garden hose and operate with float so they never run out of water. Next provide your birds with rollout nest for the eggs.

My concern would be the mess they make. Although my dirt run area is fine for long periods of time, if I left the area under to roost for 10 days without scraping it it would be STINKY! Keeping the water fresh would also be difficult being gone that long - they tend to poop in it, throw dirt in it, somehow put food in it. I end up dumping and refilling at least every 3-4 days - and my standards are not that high.

Gosh OPA,
It sounds do-able with all of the ideas you gave. It's going to wind up being a chunck of change just to be able to keep a couple of chickens.
I might have to do what Shannon33 suggests and find someone to check on them. It sure is a shame to spend all the money and time to set it up and then worry about it the whole time I'm gone. I'd worry something is going to break down or fail. Before I get disheartened about the whole idea, I'll wait to see if someone else has some input. Thanks everybody.

Back
Top Bottom