Is there any male quail who never crows?

Quail Lover 1987

In the Brooder
May 23, 2020
Maybe this is a dumb question, but I’m new to quail, started raising 2 weeks ago. I have 3 white coturnix quails about 8 weeks old. I tried to vent sex and I think (not sure, it’s hard though) I have 2 males and 1 female. One male crows sometime, one is completely quiet. So is there any male quail who doesn’t like to crow. I hope not, because I want egg and I don’t eat quail.

Last edited:
Oh, I hope not! 2 males are already likely to start fighting. If they haven't it is possible that you have all boys. They're more likely to fight if there are hens around.
Actually they did fight 5 days ago. The boy who crows attacked the other two, they tried to escape out of the cage. One was ok, one bled. I had to take the aggressive one out for 3 days. Now I put him back and they dont fight so far.

They're going to get more aggressive as they get older. The best ratio is 1 roo to 3-5 hens.

If they've already fought once you should probably start seriously thinking about:
1. How many quail you want (do you want to give each boy a harem)
2. Which boy(s) do you want to keep (if you want to stay with 3-5 birds, you only want 1)
3. What are you going to do with your extra boy(s) (eat, cull, try to rehome) knowing that rehoming a roo is not easy.

Back
Top Bottom