Is this 7 Week Old Chicken a Rooster or Hen?

gibblesham

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2022
Hey everyone, we ordered a batch of chicks in late June and they’re just about 7 weeks old right now. I ordered all hens (assorted colored egg layer) through Tractor Supply (which then orders through Hoovers Hatchery). I’m just wondering if there was a sexing error in one of my chickens because I know that it can happen every so often. The chicken has a redder comb than the others and a curved tail. I wouldn’t be too disappointed if it’s a rooster though because he/she is very nice, but it still would be nice to know. Also, does anyone know what breed he/she is?

EDDA8997-59C8-464C-8844-1942A1900E86.jpeg

Also, does anyone know what breed he/she is?

That's some crazy cool plumage! :love

Do you have any chick pics to compare with this link..

https://www.hoovershatchery.com/id-my-chick.html

Some egger hybrid (prairie bluebell, OE, etc) seems most likely. Now I see you said it was a color assortment. Following quote taken from Hoover's site..

"You may receive any of the following breeds in this assortment: Americana, Olive Egger, Prairie Bluebell Egger®, Sapphire Olive Egger™, Starlight Green Egger™, Midnight Majesty Marans®, French Black Copper Marans, or Cuckoo Marans."

I can tell you it's not Marans.. and the misspelled word "Americana" is a confusing and misleading lie that should not be used to describe eggers.

I agree nothing hollering cockerel at this stage!

That's some crazy cool plumage! :love

Do you have any chick pics to compare with this link..

https://www.hoovershatchery.com/id-my-chick.html

Some egger hybrid (prairie bluebell, OE, etc) seems most likely. Now I see you said it was a color assortment. Following quote taken from Hoover's site..

"You may receive any of the following breeds in this assortment: Americana, Olive Egger, Prairie Bluebell Egger®, Sapphire Olive Egger™, Starlight Green Egger™, Midnight Majesty Marans®, French Black Copper Marans, or Cuckoo Marans."

I can tell you it's not Marans.. and the misspelled word "Americana" is a confusing and misleading lie that should not be used to describe eggers.

I agree nothing hollering cockerel at this stage!
That “assortment” is basically just Easter Egger or Marans… not much of an assortment.

The salmon/ tan breast feathers are a hen only trait. Roos would be getting black feathers in the sane place. Several breeds do that. Some comb types pink early. On pullets, they typically don't grow until a month or so before laying.

Attachments

• 8B583BC3-7CE6-46C5-89CE-F8EE44DC15FE.jpeg
    8B583BC3-7CE6-46C5-89CE-F8EE44DC15FE.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom