Is this a baby wood duck

Jjnola

In the Brooder
May 16, 2023
my 4 ducklings are getting big, but one is lagging behind and looks a little different. It has blue on its wings while the other 3 do not. I’m assuming it’s a baby wood duck. I’m sure the other 3 are mandarins which look to be one male and two females. And input on the odd duck?

Attachments

• 6D5442C8-F75E-4AB9-8179-28B1805F1A07.png
    6D5442C8-F75E-4AB9-8179-28B1805F1A07.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 100
  • FD67FC2D-A82A-4075-BDA1-B85845AA03E2.png
    FD67FC2D-A82A-4075-BDA1-B85845AA03E2.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 43
my 4 ducklings are getting big, but one is lagging behind and looks a little different. It has blue on its wings while the other 3 do not. I’m assuming it’s a baby wood duck. I’m sure the other 3 are mandarins which look to be one male and two females. And input on the odd duck?
Yes, that's a wood duck.

And just so I’m sure. This is a mandarin drake, 2 mandarin hens, and a wood duck drake?
I can't tell on the wood duck. Can you get a pic of a wing stretched out by chance? The hens get the white cheek thing as juveniles too so that's not reliable to tell by.
The mandarins are correct.

I can't tell on the wood duck. Can you get a pic of a wing stretched out by chance? The hens get the white cheek thing as juveniles too so that's not reliable to tell by.
I’ll try to get one. He has no interest in me whatsoever. The mandarins are at least inquisitive. I put them in their cage before I was done and the mandarins were pretty chill with me drilling and walking through. I changed the top of the cage at least 3 times. But this is the end result. I wanted the profile to sit below the brick wall but decided to accommodate the trees instead. And added a shade sail today to try to keep the water a little cooler. I’m paranoid about botulism and they seem to only use the bathroom in the water.

Attachments

• IMG_3009.jpeg
    IMG_3009.jpeg
    615.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2931.jpeg
    IMG_2931.jpeg
    767.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2930.jpeg
    IMG_2930.jpeg
    629.4 KB · Views: 15
I found this picture online of baby wood ducks. According to what I read, all baby wood ducks look like the female wood duck. The males get their color later in life.

1688006136848.png

The top of its head is iridescent green If that means anything. Do females have that too? He could also be a wood duck hybrid. The guy had multiple species in the same pen. Here’s a pic from the CL ad

Attachments

• IMG_3014.jpeg
    IMG_3014.jpeg
    319.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3015.jpeg
    IMG_3015.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 16
I’ll try to get one. He has no interest in me whatsoever. The mandarins are at least inquisitive. I put them in their cage before I was done and the mandarins were pretty chill with me drilling and walking through. I changed the top of the cage at least 3 times. But this is the end result. I wanted the profile to sit below the brick wall but decided to accommodate the trees instead. And added a shade sail today to try to keep the water a little cooler. I’m paranoid about botulism and they seem to only use the bathroom in the water.
Haha! If you catch him snap a number of pics, there should be something that's telling. The drakes' eyes will also redden up pretty quick. Hens' eyes stay brown. The white on the face both juvenile hens and drakes get, though hens lose it and drakes keep it. The wing feathers are a good way to tell though. Drakes will also start to get red coming in on their bill at a pretty young age. You can also vent sex, that's really easy on bigger ducklings like that.
I found this picture online of baby wood ducks. According to what I read, all baby wood ducks look like the female wood duck. The males get their color later in life.

View attachment 3559574
The juveniles look similar. Drakes will be fully colored out the fall they hatch though and theill start pretty early. It'll be easy to tell by two-three months old.
The top of its head is iridescent green If that means anything. Do females have that too? He could also be a wood duck hybrid. The guy had multiple species in the same pen. Here’s a pic from the CL ad
Nope hens get that too, haha.
He is pure. That's a nice collection he has!

The juveniles look similar. Drakes will be fully colored out the fall they hatch though and theill start pretty early. It'll be easy to tell by two-three months old.

Exactly. They are only ducklings for a short while. Come fall, my ducks were already full sized and it was easy to tell the duck hens from the drakes.

Back
Top Bottom