BigBlueHen53

❤️ Exodus 20:8-11 ❤️
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
I finally found a pic of Elvis, my first rooster from 2010. I suspect he was Black Jersey Giant, and am wondering if you guys can confirm from this pic. With time I might be able to find another photo of him with a hen near him that does not have her head down. Would appreciate any input! I really liked him. He had about 4" spurs by the time he died, if that helps. He was quite the "singer," crowing at all hours, and was gentle with his girls although clumsy, either due to the spurs or to his size, but he never hurt them. I will be getting another one this spring.
Screenshot_20191226-150653_Gallery.jpg

I finally found a pic of Elvis, my first rooster from 2010. I suspect he was Black Jersey Giant, and am wondering if you guys can confirm from this pic. With time I might be able to find another photo of him with a hen near him that does not have her head down. Would appreciate any input! I really liked him. He had about 4" spurs by the time he died, if that helps. He was quite the "singer," crowing at all hours, and was gentle with his girls although clumsy, either due to the spurs or to his size, but he never hurt them. I will be getting another one this spring. View attachment 1988336

the way he is standing/posture, his dimensions and relatively long legs make me think BJG. The breed has a flat back with a wide spreading tail (no long tail feather or two like many other breeds). 6-point straight comb, red earlobes. The neck and hackle feathers look correct. He also has those thick legs and big feet typical of a BJG. Typically a BJG has yellow on the bottoms of the feet, but with age may not be so “bright” like when younger. Nice big boy!!

the way he is standing/posture, his dimensions and relatively long legs make me think BJG. The breed has a flat back with a wide spreading tail (no long tail feather or two like many other breeds). 6-point straight comb, red earlobes. The neck and hackle feathers look correct. He also has those thick legs and big feet typical of a BJG. Typically a BJG has yellow on the bottoms of the feet, but with age may not be so “bright” like when younger. Nice big boy!!

Thank you for that very helpful analysis! :frow I always wondered what he was and am really looking forward to having another one!

I finally found a pic of Elvis, my first rooster from 2010. I suspect he was Black Jersey Giant, and am wondering if you guys can confirm from this pic. With time I might be able to find another photo of him with a hen near him that does not have her head down. Would appreciate any input! I really liked him. He had about 4" spurs by the time he died, if that helps. He was quite the "singer," crowing at all hours, and was gentle with his girls although clumsy, either due to the spurs or to his size, but he never hurt them. I will be getting another one this spring. View attachment 1988336
Despite the fact that his leg color looks kinda Australorp-ish, he sure looks like a BJG to me. He's more tall, than round, and carries himself with a very upright posture. He must have been an awfully pretty fellow. I love the beetle-green top-color. Aside from the super-sweet personality, it's my favorite characteristic of the breed!

Back
Top Bottom